Bummed out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
So apparently my Thermostat breaking has caused a whole other mess of problems. Pretty sure I have a leaking head gasket. Win the radiator cap off and while observing the coolant while the t-stat opens I see a barrage of bubbles and foamy bubbles coming through regularly...I will confirm with a combustion leak detector. Just a little bummed out, but now I will be saving my pennies and I'll just go with a brand new Chevy Performance 350 crate engine. So now I guess I can focus on getting the rear gears swapped.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's a bummer, David.
I guess the engine didn't react well to being overheated. Hope you find a reasonable alternative.
A nice Vortec headed crate motor might be in your not so distant future. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Thanks Jack, it sucks that while I was starting to drive it everyday to work, this happens. Oh well, I've been wanting a 350 for forever so time to make a goal of mine come true!! Good thing I can work overtime any time I want haha.
I want to go Vortec, but I need EGR to keep nOx down to acceptable levels. Chevy performance sells a retrofit Vortec intake with EGR but it's like $350!! So I'm gonna go with the 190 HP 350. I don't need a lot of HP, I drive like a grandma!! Haha

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jack, it sucks that while I was starting to drive it everyday to work, this happens. Oh well, I've been wanting a 350 for forever so time to make a goal of mine come true!! Good thing I can work overtime any time I want haha.
I want to go Vortec, but I need EGR to keep nOx down to acceptable levels. Chevy performance sells a retrofit Vortec intake with EGR but it's like $350!! So I'm gonna go with the 190 HP 350. I don't need a lot of HP, I drive like a grandma!! Haha
Well, the 190 hp version will get you back in the running without breaking the bank. You can always upgrade it down the road. I guess it will have to be emissions compliant.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Exactly, I'm not taking it to the track or anything so the base 350 will serve me well, hopefully haha and yes I have to take it in every two years for tail pipe testing so I have to stay compliant, ain't worth the $200 to get someone to pass it. And if CA ever gets with the program and ends tail pipe testing for pre '80 cars I might consider upgrading to Vortec heads. My girlfriend was pretty bummed about it too, so no more cruise nights for us until I get it swapped. She offered to help pay for it, I think I might have a keeper! Haha

• Winner

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The 290/350 is what I am going when the time /money comes. From my research it is a nice clean reasonable, driveable option that has a bit of muscle

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The 290/350 is what I am going when the time /money comes. From my research it is a nice clean reasonable, driveable option that has a bit of muscle
I went with a 350HP 350 from Pace which is the same short block as the 290/350 but with Vortec heads and a mild performance cam. The 290/350 was my second choice.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I liked the warranty on the GM 290/350 crate. I have had my hot rods and I like a decent idle, fuel economy with a little zip. To me it seems like a nice combo. I would like to hear from people who have done this swap

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I liked the warranty on the GM 290/350 crate. I have had my hot rods and I like a decent idle, fuel economy with a little zip. To me it seems like a nice combo. I would like to hear from people who have done this swap
When my brother and I were planning the build on his 78 Z28 we saw the 290/350 on the dyno on Horsepower TV and fell in love. We ended up going with a 6.0 LSX because he wanted to do an LS swap. That 290/350 is surely a sweet street motor, that is surely under rated on power by GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor