Bumper Shock leaking oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have fixed all the oil leaks in my GP and now the left front bumber shock is leaking oil. I have never seen that problem before so I'm wondering if any of you have and what was your cure.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When new they were designed to take a 5 mph impact, compress, then rebound. It worked well, but now these cars are 30 years old. Has it been hit lately? When it gets hit and compresses/rebounds, the seal can get cut by the usually rusty surface. And then sometimes it just gets old and crotchety and the seal gives out, leaking. My fix is to drill it out and remove the fluid, then run a bolt through making it solid. Am I concerned about a 5 mph impact? Not really.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
no it has not been hit but it could have been someone hitting it when I was parked. There isn't any indication of it being hit though and I do have an impact sensor with my alarm which never went off, it just started leaking for no apparent reason so I guess the seal just gave out. I just found some nice chrome ones but i think I'll just go with the stock ones. I'll hit up some guys who still run the G bodies race cars cause they don't use the bumper shocks for obvious reasons..I never realized how much oil these shocks have

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I drilled mine to release the gas and oil so I was able to compress them closer to the body. They still need to be welded into position. Actually the two front shocks that I acquired were already blown out. So they do in fact get compromised over time.
As Mark suggested, there's either rust on the shaft which compromised the seal, or it got bopped while parked.

BTW Steve, the speedo grommet worked out well for the shift cable. I found an OE grommet in a Cutlass, but it too was kinda raggedy.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
glad to hear you got the grommets worked out. ....I'll just replace the bumper shock and I was relieved that was the oil leak. I can't stand any leak so when I'm at a friends place I don't leave any nasty remains for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor