Bumpsteer: Correcting or Hoping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
It's common knowledge that multiple 60's-80's GM vehicle platforms suffered from bump-steer.

While searching for info/data, I look through & see various threads/posts & see mentions of people installing bumpsteer correction kits, it has me wondering how many people actually measured their set-up's to plot the numbers out & actually make corrections vs. just changes they hope work? My search found that 'Pontiacgp' posted a thread that linked a video but it appears that it was more of a "what is" bumpsteer. The video is no longer accessible so I don't know what additional info it might have shared (there wasn't any posted feedback after within the thread & it was from a while back).

I'm curious of how many of you shade-tree/home-builder guys actually plotted things out for the data?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have not, but there was a noticeable difference when I installed the kit.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I will some day on my Camaro, it becomes a matter of compromise. Static camber can affect it too, so you could spend a lot of time trying to get it "right".
Agreed. This was part of the 'how many actually get under there & measure' thought. From what I've read, your Camaro should be easier w/a R&P vs. the older linkage set-ups. But since I haven't plotted /measured one out I'm not sold on that logic.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Agreed. This was part of the 'how many actually get under there & measure' thought. From what I've read, your Camaro should be easier w/a R&P vs. the older linkage set-ups. But since I haven't plotted /measured one out I'm not sold on that logic.

I've heard that, while it's not great, the 4th gen Camaro front end is less terrible than you'd think. I'm curious to see what I find when I do it. I imagine you've seen videos of folks on other platforms sharing their experiences. And then there's the fact you get to do both sides of you really care about it.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've heard that, while it's not great, the 4th gen Camaro front end is less terrible than you'd think. I'm curious to see what I find when I do it. I imagine you've seen videos of folks on other platforms sharing their experiences. And then there's the fact you get to do both sides of you really care about it.
Exactly & yes.

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
I'm curious of how many of you shade-tree/home-builder guys actually plotted things out for the data?

Im shady mech. My spindle setup is prob like no others. My measurement will not work for anyone else (welding on the center link is shady but is mild steel and welds easily). I used astro van spindles which are similar to 12" b-bodys but the van spindles use a larger taper lower ball joint. Only measurement I have from a afternoon on the alignment rack is an inner tierod drop of 1.375" iirc. Weld-tack, lower, weld-tack, lower at .050" increments until suspension drop toe in turned into toe out. Several inches below ride height to considerable suspension drop toe change is minimal. Prior to this the inner tie rod was dropped 1". Car would change lanes on the road on large dips.

Attachments

• IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Im shady mech. My spindle setup is prob like no others. My measurement will not work for anyone else (welding on the center link is shady but is mild steel and welds easily). I used astro van spindles which are similar to 12" b-bodys but the van spindles use a larger taper lower ball joint. Only measurement I have from a afternoon on the alignment rack is an inner tierod drop of 1.375" iirc. Weld-tack, lower, weld-tack, lower at .050" increments until during suspension drop toe in turned into toe out. Several inches below ride height to considerable suspension drop toe change is minimal. Prior to this the inner tie rod was dropped 1". Car would change lanes on the road on large dips.

Might look sketchy but I'm a bigger fan of that than many bump steer kits where they put a giant (tall) ball joint at the spindle end that has a likelihood of deflection.

I'm a fan oddly enough :)

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Might look sketchy but I'm a bigger fan of that than many bump steer kits where they put a giant (tall) ball joint at the spindle end that has a likelihood of deflection.

I'm a fan oddly enough :)
I'm fairly sure that tall stud @ the spindle steering arm end has you going the wrong way on these cars as well. * I can't qualify that because I never tried one of the kits.*

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes I'm sure the multiple companies out there are selling them to do exactly the wrong thing. Smdh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor