Burned electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hey guys, wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem to this so I can get it fixed quick.

I was driving the Camino and a bunch of gray smoke came out of the dash from the steering column and it smelled terrible. It went away after 3 seconds. I pulled over and turned off the engine to see if it was alright, and it looked fine to me. I start the car again and notice my battery is not charging (voltmeter dropped to like 11-12 volts, usually at 14-15). I checked every fuse, and everything still works. Any ideas what could have fried? I'm thinking some kind of wires. I'll have to check the alternator with a multimeter tomorrow to make sure it's still good (maybe it fried? The little bolt that holds the wire on the back of it looked like it might be burnt, but I assumed it was jus regular grime), but it's less than 2 years old so it should be fine. I'll post that here when I do it.

Just wanted to see if anyone had ever had a problem like this with their G body. It's an 86 with a 305 by the way. Thanks

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It's something under the dash that grounded out. First thing to ask is did you/is there any add on wired accessory under the dash? Bad wire job could of lead to a short that relased all that smoke.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
It's something under the dash that grounded out. First thing to ask is did you/is there any add on wired accessory under the dash? Bad wire job could of lead to a short that relased all that smoke.

I have a set of LED strips in the engine bay wired to my cigarette lighter (they're on a switch - always off. They still work when I checked this morning). I also have my LED taillights wired to the cigarette lighter. They also still work. The cig lighter wire is always hot btw. I put both additions on there so I can use them with the key off.

I checked the alternator with the car running this morning - 12.02 volts. I even drove it on a 3 hour trip last night (headlights and everything on) after then problem occurred. Battery read 12.02 also (both running and not running). I think the alternator is good.

I'll have to take the dash apart to check for grounded wires, maybe something is frayed. Thanks for the advice man

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor