Burnouts and Ice Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Keeping it conservative until I get a spare block. I’m using the Holley, and from what I’ve seen it’s really hard to get the knock sensors tuned to a useful frequency so they’re gone. Just listen for rattle and check the plugs on occasion. Working on setting it up for lean cruise around 15.5 afr. Hopefully pick up a couple mpg.
If you're on the stock cam, then ok with 15.5 AFR - I guess. I can't run mine that lean at 35 degrees and at 55 kpa with out it lean misfiring - SS2 cam though. Mileage is important, but not important enough to lean it out to cause damage imo.

Heads up on listening for rattle in boost - faster than your BOV can dump the boost you'll have a broken ring land or windowed block. Tuning timing by ear is not a motor life increasing plan.

I've leaned hard on stuff that gets daily driven and it's been a money waste. A spare motor is good thing when they can be had for $250-300, but having one is not a good reason to find the limit of yours. If yours works good, then I see no need to not be conservative for a street tune. And that goes double if you have a Gen 3 setup. You're probably in the 500+ whp range. On the street you'll find little no difference between 500 and 600 - again IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

Cruzin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2021
North Alabama
If you're on the stock cam, then ok with 15.5 AFR - I guess. I can't run mine that lean at 35 degrees and at 55 kpa with out it lean misfiring - SS2 cam though. Mileage is important, but not important enough to lean it out to cause damage imo.

Heads up on listening for rattle in boost - faster than your BOV can dump the boost you'll have a broken ring land or windowed block. Tuning timing by ear is not a motor life increasing plan.

I've leaned hard on stuff that gets daily driven and it's been a money waste. A spare motor is good thing when they can be had for $250-300, but having one is not a good reason to find the limit of yours. If yours works good, then I see no need to not be conservative for a street tune. And that goes double if you have a Gen 3 setup. You're probably in the 500+ whp range. On the street you'll find little no difference between 500 and 600 - again IMO.
Yeah basically stock cam and 15.5 afr 37* at like -8.5” vaccum or more. Basically just super light throttle at 1,800-2,500 it’ll dip leaner. No problems yet I’ve ran almost a tank through it that way. Figgure roughly 450whp at 7 psi for the last 1,500 miles with no issues. It spins like crazy, but my rear tires are junk and I still need to address my rear suspension since I lowered the car. The block is one of the cheapest things on this car and I plan to replace it at some point. I figgure near the end of its life I’ll test it’s limits but that’ll be 5 years down the road or so. I’ve been pretty conservative so far.
Also, I’ll tune it on a dyno when I can get the rear suspension addressed. Just have a lot of irons in the fire right now and not a lot of cash. The car really is a blast to drive as it sits though. Really can’t complain!

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I just recently pushed mine to the limit of a couple of parts. Been sweating bullets trying to get it all back together and sorted out before Drag Week.

FWIW, I have a spare 4.8 ready to go that has made 675 wheel last year - just in case lol.

Cruzin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2021
North Alabama
That’s awesome! I’ve watched several YouTube guys do drag week and now I really want to one day. Seems like it’d be a lot of fun. I’ve got a 18 month old and just found out there’s another on the way, so it’ll probably be 10 years or more before I’m able to but I’ll do it one day.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cruzin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2021
North Alabama
FF956933-DF32-4C08-A422-3DBD13152E98.jpeg

Random update. Still putting miles on the car and enjoying it. I think I found a gbody 8.5 locally for $150. It’s had the lower brackets and spring perches cut off but the ears are intact. I’d like to make sure it’s actually a gbody and not an abody. Potentially my next mod though.

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor