Bushings for clutch linkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Trying to find away to extend the life of my pedal & Z-bar. they are slightly oval shaped from on & off use over the past 35+ years. I have new upper & lower rods that I don't want to rush the wear on. I would like to put bushing in to help but not sure what to use-plastic, steel, brass,... I know I'll have to true up the holes & make them big enough for the bushings. I know there are other methods out there, but I want an O.E. look.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I believe I still have several full sets of new factory bushings, clips and felts for the z-bar. PM if interested.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I added some weld to mine and redrilled the holes and filed the rod ends back to round. You could open up the pedal and Z-bar holes and press in some bronze door hinge pin bushings.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I added some weld to mine and redrilled the holes and filed the rod ends back to round. You could open up the pedal and Z-bar holes and press in some bronze door hinge pin bushings.
I have tried to match up pin bushing go the rod ends, but the bushing I.D. is too big. Just too much play. Haven't had much luck even checking with the hardware stores for something to work.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I remembered reading an article on Monte SS.com about doing a manual trans conversion on a later G body, with the mechanical clutch linkage. In the article, the author mentions a company called Speed Direct, which has updated parts for the clutch linkage on these cars, with the spherical rod ends on them. I checked the Speed Direct website today, and those parts are still listed. Like I said, its not ALL of the linkage, just the 2 rods and the related hardware. The kit is listed on their website for $89.95U.S. Hope this helps.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I finally got a chance to check the Z-bar holes with the new upper & lower rods to find out they are closer to the O.E. size. Seems the outer I.D. on both sides of the lower hole has more wear than the center of the hole I.D. Must of been caused by how loose the O.E. clip held the lower rod. I am going to pick up a caliper to get a good measurement on the I.D. to see about the Oilite bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor