Butyl on plastic - how to remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
While taking out my quarter window trim I managed to get some of the sticky butyl window crap on my trim. Now I can't get it off. I've tried a bunch of different cleaners & none seem to do anything. Has anybody successfully cleaned this stuff?

1667650362306.png

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a wax & grease remover & that didn't do anything. I don't have lacquer thinner though, so I'll get some & try that.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Try isopropyl alcohol. MEK will do it, but I would almost 100% bet it will also melt the plastic so try in an inconspicuous spot first!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
3M General purpose adhesive remover.
Had the same issue on the plastic trims from my SS when I replaced the seals for the T Tops. Dealer answer to the leaks was to pack the areas with butyl to remedy the problem.

3m-general-purpose-adhesive-cleaner-08984-1-quart-us.jpg

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Lighter fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor