442 Buyer beware- there are 2 different VIN 9 air cleaner lids

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What's wrong with this ad?

Just a note about air cleaner lids. The advertised lid was not used on the 83-85 VIN 9 cars as claimed. It was used on the 87 442 cars for sure. There may have been a possibility that the "flat" air cleaner lid might have been used late in the 86 model year for 442, but they at least started the 86 model year with the 83-85 VIN 9 style that incorporated a raised bead around the perimeter of the upper air filter seat on the lid. 83 air cleaners were coded OX, 84 and 85 were NH, and 86 and 87 were OG.

While it will physically fit, it was not the period correct one for those years other than 87 442, and perhaps late 86 442. I have not studied the 86 442 nuances through the production year, so it's unverified, but from a lot of low-mile examples I've seen, they had flat top lids and 622 A/C compressors like the 87 442. They started the model year with beaded lids and 198 A/C compressors like the 85.

I understand it's the only reproduction out there as noted by the lack of black paint in the lip crevice, but there's also a lot of misinformation out there for anyone restoring these cars. When GM designed chromed stuff, like the the super stock wheels and air cleaner lids, chrome doesn't cover well in deep creviced areas. So rather than have unhappy customers, GM painted those areas to buy time to get through the warranty period.

Keep in mind, for this sort of price, you MAY be able to get a regular 307 painted lid chromed as chroming was the only difference between Y and 9 air cleaner lids. I don't know, haven't been paying attention to those prices lately. But for nearly 150 bucks, that's some serious change for a repro lid.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
That lid reminds me of an early 90's top lid on a Chevy/GMC truck. The trucks I think had two holes for the wing nuts.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
That lid reminds me of an early 90's top lid on a Chevy/GMC truck. The trucks I think had two holes for the wing nuts.
I often see this lid on 442’s at a car shows.
It’s made in China. Actually not a bad value.

1636558130572.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
This is the lid I was thinking of
top lid.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interestingly, I have an NOS GM# 25095634 OG air cleaner assembly with the beaded lid for an 86 442. Which is the same part number for the 87 air cleaner assembly. This is where the parts book gets weird. The parts book charts for the replacement lid for 1985-87 lists the p/n as GM# 25040950 for 83-87 VIN 9. The strange thing is I have an NOS lid for an 87 and it's a flat top. It is the same p/n as the older ones. Best I can tell, other than the lid change, the air cleaner assembly is the exact same as the 84-85. Can't believe I never paid much attention to that. So from a part number basis alone, you could get away with saying the 83 H/O used the same p/n lid as the 87. But technically, that's as far as you can go and be "correct." The 86 and 87 air cleaner assembly are the same p/n as well in the book. This is info I lifted from a June '87 parts book.

I have a brand new 86 book somewhere too, but don't recall where I put it. I'm guessing the p/n's didn't change, but the part did. Not the first time they changed the part while keeping the same p/n. When you could still get 307 oil dipsticks from GM, they used to be production style ring ends, but at the end before discontinuing them, they put those stupid yellow T-handles on them. Same stick, different end. Same p/n, too. Blechh.

Here's what appears to be the SAME lid as the Ecklers' above, and probably others for a bit more at $47.99 plus tax from Otter Zone. Looking closer, it looks like the crevice isn't exactly a crevice at all around the gasket lip area is. Meaning the sides might more straight up and down on the repros. I don't know for sure, never had a repro. But hey, if you're going to own the wrong one, might as well pay the least for it, right?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
81 Corvette original air cleaner. With the paint in the crevice.

Vette Air Cl1.jpg
Vette Air Cl2.jpg

• Informative

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, they used those on Y bodies in the late 70s and early 80s IIRC. But for whatever reason, you couldn't just purchase the lid back then. At least I couldn't find the separate p/n for it. And if you did, you'd likely find it as 25040950 anyway.

Next they'll be telling us the Hurst Lightning Rods factory cable #357746 in the 83-84 H/O was a 77-82 Y-body part too....oh, wait... :)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good information. Anyone got a pic of the other style? Again, not a deal breaker for me but good to know if a come across one of these cars for a price that seems to good to be true. Much like the Vin 9 exhaust, if this info isn't shared, it will be lost.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Thing you have to remember is that GM service parts were meant to function and keep the vehicle operational. Little regard was given to how similar it was to the assembly line part. As long as it fit and functioned, that was all they wanted/needed

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I figure it this way. Somewhere in that big GM headquarters in purchasing some one was buying stuff for the next run of Y- bodies. Somewhere else someone was saying just shut it down for a year for the move to Bowling Green.

So there was a bunch of parts just rotting away in a warehouse. H/O to the rescue. My guess is they used those air cleaner lids till they ran out and since it had been years since they ordered any the vendor didn't have the tooling anymore, so they just started over with a redesign.

I wouldn't be surprised if some late earlier cars had the later lids but not the other way around.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor