Buying a new welder, advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeth hale

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2016
clare, Michigan
OK guys I had a deal lined out for a partial barter for a used welder. And as my luck would have it the deal fell thru it was 300$ worth of repair labor and 500 in cash for an older millermatic. Everything else on Craigslist or Facebook is running around 2000 bucks. Even for a 10 year old plus machine. Doesn't make much sense when you can buy a new Lincoln 216, Hobart 230 ironman, or htp 2400 for ~1600$. With Miller's smallest full size running about 300 extra.
The 3 I mentioned is the 3 I'm considering they all have about the same warranty 3 years. All priced about the same. I've welded with the Hobart(Miller sister company) and the Lincoln 216 they both did fine. But as advertised the htp 2400 is more capable and has more features which could be useful. I've watched a ton of reviews on all of them and they all seem to be great machines. I'm leaning towards the htp but would like some input from people who may have bought one of these

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't know what your primary use is going to be, I mean besides welding, but, like how much or how thick. I have a Lincoln 180 that is awesome, it a smaller 220/230V that is set up with gas. I have a Hobart 135 for flux-core. These are for lighter stuff, for me, as I have an older M250 Miller for all day long and heavy steel. My Lincoln is small enough that it gets loaned out for frame braces and roll bar installs a lot, I have a couple of different extension cords with ends for most dryer style plugs. So far, the 180 have done about three 8 or 10 point cages and at least two frame notches. I got it on craigslist, it was sealed new in the box for $450.

Reactions: 1 user

zeth hale

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2016
clare, Michigan
I don't know what your primary use is going to be, I mean besides welding, but, like how much or how thick. I have a Lincoln 180 that is awesome, it a smaller 220/230V that is set up with gas. I have a Hobart 135 for flux-core. These are for lighter stuff, for me, as I have an older M250 Miller for all day long and heavy steel. My Lincoln is small enough that it gets loaned out for frame braces and roll bar installs a lot, I have a couple of different extension cords with ends for most dryer style plugs. So far, the 180 have done about three 8 or 10 point cages and at least two frame notches. I got it on craigslist, it was sealed new in the box for $450.
I'd like to be up in the full size machines for that reason. Lol I weld mostly structural work but will need to also work on sheet metal. I'm also considering the ahp alpha MIG 250 but I'd like to be up around 200 output capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor