Buying tires online vs a shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
its nearing the time to put some proper rubber on my regal. Prices online are pretty good but I'm not sure when it comes to installation cost that it is going to be worth it in the end. Thoughts?

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
I buy tires online and then take them to have installed locally since tire selections at tires stores aren't very good or they don't have the right sizes when I need tires.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Depending what you're looking for it can go either way.

I've bought tires via local independent shops, costco, online (discount tires direct & tirerack), and quasi-online ordering through website and picking up in store (sears) depending who had the best sale/options going on.

Buying in person you can check the date codes on the tire to see manufacture week and year. This is more important if buying a discount or odd size tire, since warehouses typically hold tires up to 5 years old.

I've refused tires at an independent dealer before for being too old.. many times those warehouses don't store them the way collectors do who drive on old tires. Rubber dries out, belt issues, etc... no old tires for me at the price they cost these days.

Costco is a good deal if you old out for their free installation and $xx.xx off a set of 4... then it's mounted, balanced, nitrogen filled, free top offs for pressure, etc etc...

I've don't the sears thing ordering tires one at a time with promo coupons on each transaction that gave discount usable on next transaction, so on... got $560 in tires for under $300 on that one.

I'd say biggest issue is your roads and driving habits. If you plan on tire protection plans, drive through construction that leads to nails and such, hit curbs, etc, maybe and local independent is best since they take better care down the road....

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If you don't have a guy you trust to install tires you buy online, buy tires at discount tire or Costco or sams club.

I have a guy, but I only trust that guy and not crack smoking monkeys at his shop that work for him, so even if you have a guy, you have to stay on top of him.

With discount tire or sams or costco, if they screw something up, they'll fix it. With no frills mom/pop local shop, maybe not.

Some tires are Too cheap or only available online... so I buy those online and take them to my guy. For "regular tires" I'll go to a big box tire store (except NTB... never go to NTB)

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Thanks for the info. Im putting on bf Goodrich radial t/a's. While certainly not rare at shops, probably not bought very often compared to other tires now days.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
If you have an independent tire shop usually located at a crappy location hole in the wall shop. Those are the best. Cheap.

Whatever you do avoid the chain stores, Sears, Mavis, Pep Boys, Firestone, Goodyear etc. They will rip you off. There tire prices do not include mounting & balancing, or valve stems, they will try to get you to pay for extended warranties, throw in tire disposal fees x4 and finally the taxes. Rip off

85OLDS9vin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2017
Ny
Yes buy online. I use tirerack.com myself, then take them to my long time Midas guy who charges me $15 per tire off the books for mount and balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor