Status
Not open for further replies.

illCamino

n00b
Aug 20, 2019
Hello folks:

I am working on a 1984 el Camino/305 c.i. The vehicle has an electronic quadrajet which I would like to get rid of and upgrade the carb to a high performance carb like a #1906 Edelbrock AVS2 or something like that - nothing radical.

My concerns are:

If I replace the electronic quadrajet with a non-electronic carb. like the Edelbrock AVS2 (C.A.R.B. Approved), what do I do with the electronic plug that connects to the electronic quadrajet?

-- The Edelbrock AVS2 does not have an electronic provision to plug the wire that connects to the electronic quadrajet.
-- If the electric plug that connects to the electronic quadrajet stays disconnected (due to a newer non-electric carb) the check engine light comes on.
-- It seems that with the electric plug disconnected, the engine will run in open-loop? If so, how do you close the loop without the electronic quadrajet in place?
-- If there is no way to close the loop because the electric plug is not connected to the new carb, it is likely that it will not pass a CA smog test due to the check engine light staying on.

I am not a professional mechanic, just a fellow veteran and novice gearhead.

Please share your knowledge with me, and provide photos if possible.

Thank you for your time.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Where did you get the idea that the Edelbrock AVS2 is CARB approved?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Don't.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You have to deal with smog, so don't bother changing anything. just keep it in good tune. Or, if they pass that new law (have they already)? find an 83 or older elco and go nuts. There is no reason to remove the quadrajet, unless it's for a rebuild. You wont gain any measurable hp, mpg, and it certainly wont pass even a visual inspection. Dont bother.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I also wouldn't call any of the E=brock carbs "high performance". Send your current carb off to Ken at Everyday Performance (techg8(?) is a member here), and you'll be miles ahead for what the E-brock costs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
100% keep the qjet. Don't touch a thing. We have just saved you a bunch of money and headache. Your welcome. You now owe us all a beer.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor