Caballero Canuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This one was built in Doraville, GA on June 24,1978. it's got a 305U engine, TH350 auto and 2.73 gears. I still have the build sheet.
They just finished tearing down Doraville a couple years ago. Even after they pulled the letters and signs down on the building you could see the outline from lack of sun fade almost as strong as if they painted it on in a slightly different shade.

Sigh. "Progress"...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

CaballeroCanuck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2021
They just finished tearing down Doraville a couple years ago. Even after they pulled the letters and signs down on the building you could see the outline from lack of sun fade almost as strong as if they painted it on in a slightly different shade.

Sigh. "Progress"...
A fellow on the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) forum saved those letters. He's not sure yet what he's going to do with them !

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The Simpsons Canada GIF

Go team Maple Syrup!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
  • Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice clean , original Caballero! It's cool that you're the original owner. Thank you for sharing the back story and history of it. Great story!
I also dig your rare '21 Chevy roadster pickup.
Oh, and before I forget, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
As the heading suggests, I'm the proud and original owner of a 1978 GMC Caballero in Ontario, Canada.

In late 1977, the GM parts department where I worked (for 42 years eventually) received a stack of new sales brochures for the 1978 models. I was looking through them and found one for the '78 GMC Caballero. It was love at first sight.

I went up to the truck sales manager's office and handed him an option list for a Caballero that I wanted a quote on. A couple of days later,he got back to me. I didn't act on it immediately.

A few weeks later,I was out for a bit of fresh air at lunch hour. A car transport came wheeling around the corner and lo and behold my Caballero was on the top deck ! The sales manager correctly assumed that it would be like waving a carrot in front of a donkey's nose. He was right. I bit !

The only thing he changed on my list was to have wire wheel covers replace the factory rallies. A few years later, I bought a set of aftermarket modulars that are still on it today. It was my "swap meet" truck, chasing parts for my 1921 Chevy roadster-pickup. I therefore had a custom topper painted and installed, to keep my treasures from blowing out.

About the only other "mods" were a 4 bbl carburetor, a front spoiler from a Diablo, and a hood ornament from an '81.

For the first two years, I drove it winter and summer, making regular visits to the car wash bay in the winter months. After that, I used cheap winter beaters while the GMC was safely tucked in the garage.

It still wears most of it's original paint and has clocked about 230,000 km. The photos show it as purchased, and as it looks today.

Jim
Welcome to the site from Houston. Cool story and cool car. Thanks for posting it.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Just recently rewatched the episode of That 70s' Show the kids went for a beer run to Canada in the vista. Friggin hilarious.
Growing up in Manitoba, they used not sell Beer on Sunday. They did across the border in Saskatchewan😉, a few interesting trips. American cigarettes were strong, US Beer is weak piss. I used to buy 11% alcohol Labatt Maximum Ice Beer😁.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor