California Catalytic Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernie365

Apprentice
Apr 8, 2020
Murrieta,CA
What’s up GBF! I have a question for you experts. I have a 1982 Buick Regal it was working well ( with the normal lack of power from the original 3.8L). On Saturday I drove it maybe 20 miles but the car didn’t indicate it was over heating but the car was hotter than hell. Secondly, I went to try to start it and it wouldn’t start and after a few attempts it finally fired up, but I had very little power on the acceleration and at every light I had to double pedal it cause it felt like it was going to shut off. Now the car starts but it Idles rough and feels like it wants to stall out and sputters like sh*t when I move it. I haven’t driven it since then because of fear of getting stranded. My thoughts is maybe the catalytic converter, but I’m not sure. Can you all help me out.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The dash idiot lights can fail and not tell you what's going on. Just cause it didn't light up doesn't mean something didn't go wrong from overheating.

Top of my head? Easiest is look for coolant or oil to have gone somewhere it doesnt belong by opening radiator cap and checking dipstick after running. If clear you could pull the cat and test if that fixes the issue. Assuming it doesnt, a compression test tells you the location of either an internal headgasket leak or valve issue.

Last thought would be if the high heat made a nylon tooth on the timing give way and you jumped time on the engine, but those keep going the list of invasiveness.

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I remember seeing a G body climb a grade near my house as a kid. It was making a loud hissing sound, going very slow, and the catalytic converter was glowing orange. The old pellet style converters suck, anyway. A newer honeycomb might even wake the wheezy 3.8 up a little. But, as ck80 said, there are a ton of things that can make it run hot.

Reactions: 1 user

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
You can test your cat with a thermal tester most repair shops have them.
they tested mine and it was blocked and about 800 degrees on the tester

no lack of power now

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Most likely you have a vacuum leak somewhere from what you describe. Cat converters rarely go bad. Do you have an analog dwell meter?

Reactions: 1 user

Fernie365

Apprentice
Apr 8, 2020
Murrieta,CA
The dash idiot lights can fail and not tell you what's going on. Just cause it didn't light up doesn't mean something didn't go wrong from overheating.

Top of my head? Easiest is look for coolant or oil to have gone somewhere it doesnt belong by opening radiator cap and checking dipstick after running. If clear you could pull the cat and test if that fixes the issue. Assuming it doesnt, a compression test tells you the location of either an internal headgasket leak or valve issue.

Last thought would be if the high heat made a nylon tooth on the timing give way and you jumped time on the engine, but those keep going the list of invasiveness.
That day when I got home I let it sit for about an hour then I checked all fluids and they all checked out perfect. I’m going to check out the vacuum lines again and see if it’s one of those. I’m gonna change out the catalytic converter too just to change it out with a newer one.

Fernie365

Apprentice
Apr 8, 2020
Murrieta,CA
I remember seeing a G body climb a grade near my house as a kid. It was making a loud hissing sound, going very slow, and the catalytic converter was glowing orange. The old pellet style converters suck, anyway. A newer honeycomb might even wake the wheezy 3.8 up a little. But, as ck80 said, there are a ton of things that can make it run hot.
I’m definitely going to replace with a new one. Thanks man appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor