Cam Comparison LS3-LS9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Im looking to grab either an LS3 cam or a LS9 cam for my LY6 swap. I was trying to read some comparisons but most were negative toward the LS9 cam. Mainly because they were all Camaro guys with the LS3 cam already and felt that a swap from the LS3 to LS9 cam showed to minimal of gains to be worth doing.
From what I gather so far the LS9 cam will make roughly 20hp up top but lose 20 down low compared the LS3.
Curious on you guys thoughts? Do any of you guys have experience with these cams? Weight of a gbody how bad is losing that 20hp down low? The car is going to be a weekend fun car, Cruises with the family, an occasional burn out or show off a honda. lol
Im probably over thinking this but still might as well have to much info than not enough.
Thanks guys

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Get a custom cam cut by Cam Motion (or choose one of their mild shelf grinds such as this: http://store.cammotion.com/catalog/product/a5e20f93e4ca420988b952e1901da4c8); I am guessing that the LY6 has square port (LS3 style heads). Regardless, you are going to need a cam install kit with a minimum of springs and pushrods - so a few extra hundred dollars is a drop in the bucket.

I have an LS9 cam in my LS2 - but, it is Procharged and any "losses" are overshadowed by boost. You aren't losing 20hp/tq if you use the LS9 or LS3 cam, you are moving the power band up and/or down based upon the valve events.

With a dedicated grind cam you are going to find that you will gain more power under the curve and improve the overall performance.

Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Get a custom cam cut by Cam Motion (or choose one of their mild shelf grinds such as this: http://store.cammotion.com/catalog/product/a5e20f93e4ca420988b952e1901da4c8); I am guessing that the LY6 has square port (LS3 style heads). Regardless, you are going to need a cam install kit with a minimum of springs and pushrods - so a few extra hundred dollars is a drop in the bucket.

I have an LS9 cam in my LS2 - but, it is Procharged and any "losses" are overshadowed by boost. You aren't losing 20hp/tq if you use the LS9 or LS3 cam, you are moving the power band up and/or down based upon the valve events.

With a dedicated grind cam you are going to find that you will gain more power under the curve and improve the overall performance.

Very good advise. For this time around I need to get the car running with minimal expense. Im hoping to get it running with the 6.0 for now and enjoy the car.Then my plan is to figure to exactly where I want to go with this later on. Boost? N/A? Manual? Efi?. Get the rear I will need, trans, some frame reinforcement. Might even start with a fresh motor and sell this one or put it in something else. You get it im sure. So thats why Im looking at factory cams. keep it simple cam valve springs, When I plan my end game I can then customize a cam for it.
As for the 20hp From what I understand I should gain a decent amount of hp with either but between the LS3 and the LS9 there is a 20hp down low and up top that camaro guys claim.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You are going to be hundreds of dollars into a VVT-delete kit, so you are just going to be spending the money and time twice to achieve the same result or a lesser result. From what I understand the "Camaro guys" are a collection of halfwits and should be avoided.

You wanted late model performance advice and I gave it to you.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Between the two, I would go with the LS3 cam. You will likely like it enough that you don't replace it. You aren't racing the car so you don't need the 20 HP up top you are giving up. However, with a street car you want as much streetable power as you can get.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
lol. I dont want late model advis thats why I asked on here.
Please Lmk if Im missing anything, the VVT delete kit from TSP is 120 bucks, It come with the cover, cam gear which they told me theyll give either one or three bolt if I choose, there are a bunch of guys on ebay selling brand new Ls3 cams with the gear for 90bucks. I know it sounds like Im being cheap But Im really not. Guys that know me call me crazy cause Ill wake up one day and buy a brand new crate ls3, but for right now I have things going on at home that I probably sholdnt be building anything. So Im trying to squeeze this in so i can have something I can have a little fun in.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It is a late model engine, thus late model advice.

It is fine to be cheap or budget minded. If you were holding a gun to my head I would take the LS3 cam.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-724-vvt-delete-kit.aspx does not include the front cover gasket, cam retainer plate, valve springs (recommend the PSI 1511 Max Life beehive units, as your heads have heavier non-LS3 valves), and you may need new valve cover gaskets. Pushrods are a definite possibility too. It is a gamble the more you reuse internal parts.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
It is a late model engine, thus late model advice.

It is fine to be cheap or budget minded. If you were holding a gun to my head I would take the LS3 cam.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-724-vvt-delete-kit.aspx does not include the front cover gasket, cam retainer plate, valve springs (recommend the PSI 1511 Max Life beehive units, as your heads have heavier non-LS3 valves), and you may need new valve cover gaskets. Pushrods are a definite possibility too. It is a gamble the more you reuse internal parts.

Thanks Ill go over these. Im hoping since I wont race it to much and its only a 21k motor I can get away with the push rods, Vavle cover gaskets Im sure Ill need. I almost wish I had just gotten a non vvt motor to start with. I mightve just dropped it in with changing anything. I like though that I have the l92 heads. I forgot about the cam retainer, they did tell me over the phone that the vvt delete kit will bring the gaskets for the cover and even bolts I think its just not listed on the site.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Thanks Ill go over these. Im hoping since I wont race it to much and its only a 21k motor I can get away with the push rods, Vavle cover gaskets Im sure Ill need. I almost wish I had just gotten a non vvt motor to start with. I mightve just dropped it in with changing anything. I like though that I have the l92 heads. I forgot about the cam retainer, they did tell me over the phone that the vvt delete kit will bring the gaskets for the cover and even bolts I think its just not listed on the site.

Add up what you will have into the VVT delete, non VVT cam with pushrods and springs. Then compare it to the Texas Speed VVT 1 or 2 kit. I bet you'll be within a couple hundred dollars. Maybe I asked this already but why delete VVT? Especially if you're worried about losing power down low....Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor