Cam lobe mystery......

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I took the intake off of my 496 tonight and as I was inspecting the lifter valley I found a few cam lobes with these weird little silver specs on them. No texture to them at all and they don't wipe off. Not on every lobe but a few. The one in the photo is the worst. Any ideas on what's going on here? Cam has no more than 500 miles on it, was installed by me and broken in per the instructions. I also use oil with zinc and phosphate additives. I really don't wanna break down the valves to pull the lifters out because im a lazy piece of sh*t. Am I losing lobes or what???
20160319_000936.jpg

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would definitely be pulling the corresponding lifter to that worst cam lobe and having a look at it, lazy or not.
I suspect you're going to find some severe lifter face wear and damage. Possibly from excessive valve spring tension? Are you sure there wasn't a manufacturer mixup and you got a hydraulic roller cam with hardened lobes as opposed to a regular flat tappet cam? Just spitballing here.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I would want to find the cause before bigger problems appear. I would start by cutting the oil filter open and checking for any debris.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
the cam isn't right, the lifters are not even close to be centered on the lobe
If he has a cam button it could be causing the cam set back. Without a cam button the cam walks back and forth.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would want to inspect all the lifters very closely and from there probably pull the cam.
I thought you already had a roller cam in there so I would definitely consider that upgrade now.
I personally will never run anything but a roller cam in anything I build, it solves break in and wear issues and makes more power with the same lift numbers plus they have become far more affordable over the last decade.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If he has a cam button it could be causing the cam set back. Without a cam button the cam walks back and forth.
Hydraulic flat tappet cams don't need cam buttons since the lobes are designed with a taper that rotates the lifters and forces the cam towards the back of the block, only a roller cam needs a cam button.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor