Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
So far I am very interested in running either the Lunati Voodoo series 60102 (262) or 60103 (268). I'd rather run the 60103, but do not know if my set up will match this camshaft. The car will see little time at the drag strip, but I do plan on going to a few autocross events.

-1980 malibu, 3200 lbs.
-350 standard bore
-882 heads, 2.02/1.60 valves, right around 9.0 CR
-1.6 stamped steel rockers
-Flat top KB Hyper pistons
-Flowtech full length headers w/ 2.5 inch exhaust, flowmaster 40's, and H-pipe
-Edelbrock performer intake
-Option of either edelbrock 600 or carter competition 750 carb
-Aftermarket HEI distributor (40k-60k volts)

-700r4 built to 550hp specs and trans go shift kit
-2000 stall
-86' monte ss rear end, auburn posi w/ 3.73 Yukon gears

The heads I have came from a seller on ebay and they were fully built with screw in studs, guide plates, and bigger springs that I'm sure can handle .550 lift. I am unsure of how much they were machined and all I can say is the motor only likes 93 octane gas and won't run as well on any other octane. I plan on doing a compression test on all cylinders tomorrow to help give me an idea of where I'm at.

Any opinions on Lunati's camshafts and other recommendations are much appreciated.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
not an expert,

but I see you're making up the smaller lift with a bigger ratio rocker... Have you considered running a bigger lift cam, with a smaller ratio rocker?

Like a 280h, or 290h cam, with 1.5 rockers?

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Yes I've considered that too. I have the factory 1.5 stamp steel rockers and bought the 1.6 stamped steel rockers from summit for 60$ if I remember right.

Right now I have a summit stick (.442/.465), it was a replacement for an Isky circle cam I was given that had way too much duration. I dont' want to break the 230 @ .050 duration because then it starts taking away from the driveability of the car, hence why I'm adding a little more lift with larger ratio rockers. Now that I'm thinking about it, is there any benefit to the added lift while the rest of the cam remains the same?

I looked at the 280h and the power range begins right at 2000rpm, matching my stall converter. The 290h is just too big and I'm even shaky about going with a flat tappet cam over .500 lift. Would I benefit and have more options by going with a 2400-2500 stall converter?

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
my advice to you would be to call comp cams. tell them the specs of your car and what u plan on using it for and have them give u cam. and if the lunati is close to the specs they give u then go for it. more duration=mid range or high end power low duration=low end power. going t o a higher ratio rocker is a good way to give u a little more airflow=more power and depending on the duration u shouldnt have to worry about pvc. flat tappet cam over 500 lift is okay. nothing wrong with it. since ur lookin for a streetable cam i dont see why u got to use a solid cam. solid cams are usually used for high rpm motors so u dont get any float in the valve train. anything over about 6k. dont get me wrong with a solid cam u can get more cam profiles but from what ur saying u want a streetable cam so it would be more econimical for u to go hyd vs solid. with solid u would have to get all new vt. lifters, cam of course. and springs. and for a streetable cam ur converter should be okay.
i used the specs i got from comp and i oredered this elgin cam 466/487 lift duration 2198/304 duration at .50 224/234 1800-6k rpm. and im using a stock stall. i got a 350. heads got 1.94 1.50 with a home port job and cleaned up the pockets. using some valve springs rated to 510 lift a dual plane intake and a hei with 40k coil.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I didn't say anything about using a solid cam. I was asking M. Bailey why he suggested the 280h or solid cam.

Would you guys say camquest is a good simulator to get an idea of what is best for my setup?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I'd go with no less than one of the 268 cams myself. Most likely i'd go bigger but within the same line of cams. However, I think you would be better suited with a higher stall convertor. Even the 268 will be questionable with a 2000 stall, imo. The only thing that might make it work is the 3.06 first gear ratio.
My personal choice would be higher stall and bigger cam, then later you can get better heads and take full advantage of them.
I wouldn't rely to heavily on camquest either.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
jrm81bu, that's what I was thinking with the 3.06 first gear of the 700r4 combined with the 3.73's, I'll get up to rpm so fast that wouldn't it make up the difference between a 2000 stall and a 2400 stall?

Back when I had my th350, I would go through first gear real quick and would have to pay attention. With the 700r4's first, it should be even quicker.

Only thing that looks stupid is with the 60102 lunati cam is that it says that it works well with exhaust manifolds and its ground on a 112 LSA....sounds like something that's not much better than the summit cam I have already.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
patmckinneyracing said:
jrm81bu, that's what I was thinking with the 3.06 first gear of the 700r4 combined with the 3.73's, I'll get up to rpm so fast that wouldn't it make up the difference between a 2000 stall and a 2400 stall?

It's still a very big maybe, and a lot of work of dropping the transmission to change convertors if it don't work. And ya I think the 262 is too small to make it worth the time and cost of swapping in the first place.

If you decide to get another convertor I would go with something at least 2500+. And that would be for anything around the size of the 268.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor