Camel Hump Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
My friend has a 69' Chevy C-10 with a 350, Camel Hump heads with anywhere from 9.5:1 to 10:1 compression, decent carb (650cfm), long tube headers, and possibly a converter. What bogles my mind is that this truck is a fu**ing monster!! From idle it will smoke the tires all the way down the block. Ive been told that Camel Hump heads were the second best factory heads behind vortecs, but i always had the idea that Vortec heads were just moderately better than stock heads. My plan for my 350 was to buy some aftermarket heads to seperate myself from the rest of the pack, but now it seems i can get some decent power gains with Vortec heads. Anybody have any advice??

Here's a small video of it. Idle/Take off <---- Turn the volume WAY up

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I can't see very well; does is smoke BOTH tires, or just one?? What gears does it have?? A good friend of mine has an '88 C/K long bed with a few bolt ons on a 260hp crate. It has a 3,000 converter and 3.73 gears. On the street, its crazy; it jumps right next to me for a little ways, but on the track it falls down; best of 15.71. Gears and a converter can make a slug into a superstar. I have heard Vortecs are simply the best thing ever, but until then, camel humps were where its at.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
From what I hear Vortec heads are amazing. I'd have to say with a high compression ratio and good fuel any aftermarket head will perform. You can buy aftermarket production cast camel hump heads now of Jegs and Summit, at least it saves you from searching junkyards.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Look into AFR (AIr Flow Research) they make a killer set of heads. There 195cc cnc ported heads make 540+ hp on a mild 383.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
Ive been looking at Vortec heads on E-bay, and it look slike i can get a pair for a little under $500. That looks to be the best way to go.

KevinB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
A friend of mine had a 4spd '69 Camaro a few years ago. It came with the 462 Camel humps when he bought it. He took the heads off and discovered the 350 had flat top pistons. He went ahead with the Vortec install. The Vortecs were unported. Besides changing the intake, everything else was the same. The car went from a 13.1 to a 12.7 in a week just from the heads alone. With the Camel humps, he had to run 93 octane. With the Vortecs he could get by with 89 octane.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Half ton trucks can smoke the tires quite easily because of the weight distribution (or lack of actually).

I had a '75 Ford Ranger XLT with a blown 390 (about 425HP) and I couldn't get that truck to stick to the ground no matter what I did, including 800 pounds of patio blocks in the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor