Camino/Walbro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gig

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2020
San Antonio
I’m trying to avoid paying $500 for a EFI fuel kit for 85 Camino. I see replacement tanks for $100 but they are for carburetor motors. Who sells a tank I can put a Walbro electric pump into?

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Mount a Walbro on/in the frame rail just in front of the lower forward control arm mount. Then use the original pickup line for the feed and use the original return line for return. You have to make sure the tank is vented through the original sending unit/pickup assembly - do not try to vent through the cap only. This by far the easiest and cheapest method. I've done it a bunch.

What are you running a Walbro pump for? LS Swap? If NA a 255 is plenty. And you can use a factory TPI fuel filter (Vette/Camaro/Firebird) that can thread directly onto the outlet of the 255 - very economical and parts at local parts store; use the factory fuel sock for inlet filter. I might even have pictures of the setup if you'd like - let me know.

Edit - forgot to answer your question - factory cheapest tank you can find with a factory sending unit that includes a fuel return. Fleming was spot on!

Reactions: 2 users

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
91-96 Caprice Wagon with a 91-96 Sedan filler neck should bolt with a little mods.

• Agree

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
FuelFilter (1).jpg
E-pump (4).jpg
This my setup using the existing hard lines to include the return line. Added a large inline filter before the pump.

Aussie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 27, 2020
Mount a Walbro on/in the frame rail just in front of the lower forward control arm mount. Then use the original pickup line for the feed and use the original return line for return. You have to make sure the tank is vented through the original sending unit/pickup assembly - do not try to vent through the cap only. This by far the easiest and cheapest method. I've done it a bunch.

What are you running a Walbro pump for? LS Swap? If NA a 255 is plenty. And you can use a factory TPI fuel filter (Vette/Camaro/Firebird) that can thread directly onto the outlet of the 255 - very economical and parts at local parts store; use the factory fuel sock for inlet filter. I might even have pictures of the setup if you'd like - let me know.

Edit - forgot to answer your question - factory cheapest tank you can find with a factory sending unit that includes a fuel return. Fleming was spot on!
Hi

Curious as to what the symptoms are of venting only through the cap. My mechanic setup up the tank like so and have had some issues to date.

TIA

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Loss of fuel pressure and either sucking in the tank walls or sending unit seal. Along with that comes either loss of performance, parts damage or both. If you car is anyhting other than NA, then the result is generally you driving over parts ( :) )

The cap is made to relieve pressure from the fuel changing volume due to temperature changes - that is a very slo process and the cap is adequate for that.

The sending unit should have a port made to be a vent - but it's very popyular to plug it. Are you still using the factory sending unit?

This is easily diagnosed with a fuel pressure gauge in the car (electric of course).

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor