Camshaft Finally Pulled !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
Yup. Sure looks like you need an engine. Several lobes nearly gone. That cam bearing looks... not so good.

If you're dead set on replacing the cam and keeping this engine... I would recommend the Summit 1102 cam. I just put it in the 305 I overhauled for my El Camino. It's a good, strong cam, and much less expensive than that comp cams one you linked. Get a set of their lifters, part number SUM-HT817, you'll need 16, and re-use your timing set, since you recently replaced it. That's about half the cost of the comp cam set you posted.
SUM-K1102. Is the kit with lifters.
Slap it in and sell it to some other sucker.

It's time to move on

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
This isn't the sense you're looking for...

Obi-Wan Kenobi Not The Droids GIF

• Haha

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018

old time 327, $300

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
That is one significant pile of nastiness. First thing here is that cam bearing. If its condition is indicative of the condition of the rest of them then there is no point to slipping in a new cam until those bearings get replaced. The other thing to consider that, in the picture you posted, there are several nasty looking nicks and chips in the bearing face. I'm here, not there, but still wondering where the shrapnel from that damage went off to. Just saying.................................

Nick

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada

old time 327, $300
Ya hadda post that, dincha? I'd love to lay hands on that mill but there is the not so small matter of about 3000 miles between there and here, and I don't think the airline would let me bring on as hand baggage, or buy a seat for it either. Bummer, the price is perfect for a place to start.

Nick

• Love

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
The other thing to consider that, in the picture you posted, there are several nasty looking nicks and chips in the bearing face. I'm here, not there, but still wondering where the shrapnel from that damage went off to.
That would be from pulling the Cam out in a hurry.

That Cam Bearing material is like jelly in pump gears but since enough metal from the Cam Lobe and Lifters already went through them it'll clearance right through.

Win win.

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
That would be from pulling the Cam out in a hurry.

That Cam Bearing material is like jelly in pump gears but since enough metal from the Cam Lobe and Lifters already went through them it'll clearance right through.

Win win.
Don’t forget the trusty cam install tool!

164C92AA-833E-4554-AB1F-551A26AFAD94.jpeg

• Haha

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
And lets not forget the broken timing cover bolt and the two tubes of sealer on the front of the pan from the last time. Things that should be repaired. I agree with the majority of the other members. Buy a RUNNING takeout 305 and swap motors. You might be able to find a used RUNNING 350 for around the same price

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
You guys need to take in consideration the budget we're working with here.

A nice running engine cannot be afforded but a more expensive Cam and Lifter Kit with Timing Chain Set can.

Ponder over this before giving further advice.

• Agree
  • Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor