camshaft question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
What type of camshaft would my 1987 buick regal have? I have a 87 regal with a code h 305 in it and I want to put a cam in it. I don't know if it is a roller cam or flat tappet. does anyone have any idea?

Ryan

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
call the manufacturer you are considering purchasing from. Usually they want all the info on your engine and vehicle usage, then they can tell you what you need to get the desired result. I hear that crane is extremely helpful if you call or email them. I really don't know but my guess would be flat tappet.........DO NOT rely on my guess.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
yeah, thats what I thought. I called comp cams and that was the first question they asked me. I've heard that 1987 was when they started putting the roller cams in.

is there any way I can check?

Ryan

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
It's a flat tappet cam. 1987 was the year that the Chevrolet blocks were produced "roller ready" though. It may be possible to put a roller cam in it. But a code H 305 is a smogger motor. Ugly heads and compression ratio. It won't be worth putting a roller into it.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
I wasn't planning to go with a roller if I didn't have to. I was hoping I didn't have to spend the extra money, looks like theres quite the price difference between the two. thanks for the responses. Anyone have a recommendation for a cam? I'll be running the stock carb on a performer intake, headers, 2 1/4 duals and the stock rear end, 2.73 I think. I was looking at the xe262 from comp cams. anyone use something like that?

Ryan

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I heard that the cams in the 305s wear out and cause it to not run on all cylinders in some case, and an easy swap was putting a cam out of a stock 350 in it. JUST WHAT I HEARD. You might wanna just go that route, cuz you wont make huge power out of the 305 no matter what, unless you spray or something.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The early 305 engines were prone to camshaft failures, from about 1976 to about 1979 or 1980. After about '80 or '81, camshaft failures were relatively rare. Whether or not you choose to keep the 305, depends on how much power you want. The 305 could be built to produce about 225-250 reliable useable horsepower. You can get more than than out of it, but it will take more money, and you'll probably start to lose some reliability, and some streetability. If you want more than about 250 horsepower, then you'd probably be better to look for a larger engine. Just my opinion anyway.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
The reason I am replacing the cam in the car is because I think it's wiped out a lobe, and I have to replace the timing chain anyways. Im starting the process of building a 350 for the car, but until thats ready I don't want to be cruising around town on 7 cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor