Can 7.5 posi unit be rebuilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I have the rear out of my 79 cutlass, it’s a 3.08 posi 7.5. I want to put it into my Malibu. I have to swap the axle shafts so I’m going to do the seals while I’m at it. I was thinking of doing the pinion seal also. I was just wondering if the posi unit that’s in there is rebuild able?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I thinking there something in the overhaul manual that covers it but it'll depend on the type of locking unit your Posi is. Some can but you have to check to see what type yours is.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
If it is the Borg Warner clutch cone type ...No, that unit is basically a early Auburn unit. Picture below is from my 79 Chevrolet manual but the same limited slip unit was used across all car lines in the 7.5 axle.

P1011976.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
yeas, it can be done. Really the only thing to change asssuming no damage would be the springs. Summit has them for about $109 IIRC. Its a 7.5 Auburn unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor