Can a Bench Be Turned Into Buckets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

straturday

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2018
I have an 83 MC with an absolutely mint blue interior. I had to install a floor shifter for my LS swap, and I just don’t like the way it looks. The plan is to swap to buckets and a console now. Unfortunately, finding my 2-year only interior color is hard, and any repro seat covers I can find are that velvety material. Mine has the textured mini diamond material. Is it possible to have the center section of the bench cut out and the material tucked (the seat backs are already independent?) Obviously I’d have to put bucket tracks on them. I’m just trying to keep my front and back seats matching, with the interior still looking stock.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
(the seat backs are already independent?)
If it is a full bench then the inner mounts are probably not there to mount bucket seat tracks to but they are available new and used.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

straturday

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2018
So are you saying this has 60/40 seats and not a full bench? If it is a full bench then the inner mounts are probably not there to mount bucket seat tracks to but they are available new and used.

No, it’s a full bench. But the driver and passenger backs are bucket width and fold down independently, as the center of the back is the flip down armrest. I know I’ll have to weld the mounts to the floor, I’m just wondering if anyone has actually cut the center out of a full bench to make bucket seats.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have done 60/40 seats but trying to split a bench when there is no provision for inner mounts and the seat gets very thin in the center to compensate for the transmission hump and then there is trying to rework the material to fit the new contours, all of this work would require extensive fabrication and I still don't think it would look good or right IMO.
Below is 60/40 seats I did years ago before I changed to actual buckets.
scan0001.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

straturday

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2018
I hadn’t thought about the seat being thinner over the hump, good call. I guess another option would be pulling the covers off the bench and having an upholstery shop use that to cover a set of buckets.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I hadn’t thought about the seat being thinner over the hump, good call. I guess another option would be pulling the covers off the bench and having an upholstery shop use that to cover a set of buckets.
If it is possible to use your existing covers you might be better off looking for a set of 60/40 seats since the backs might end up being the same and you only have to modify the passenger side bottom to fit a console, as long as you don't mind not having true buckets.

straturday

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2018
If it is possible to use your existing covers you might be better off looking for a set of 60/40 seats since the backs might end up being the same and you only have to modify the passenger side bottom to fit a console, as long as you don't mind not having true buckets.

That’s a good idea. I don’t care about not having true buckets. That doesn’t bother me.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
We just couldn’t adapt the 4l80 to the column shifter.
Headers in the way? I have the factory shifter hooked up to the 80e in the Malibu but have no exhaust going down the drivers side. I think Motorhead Mike designed some masterpiece for his wagon. I'd look but that thread is huge.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor