Can a Lincoln SP135T MIG use .035" solid wire?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have an old Lincoln SP135T MIG machine. I normally use .025" wire for sheet metal. Someone gifted me a large spool of L-56 .035" solid wire. The machine can use .035" flux core wire and that is about the limit. But does not solid wire require more power than flux core? The gun liner, drive roller, contact tips, can fit the .035" wire but I don't know if there are enough amps available to use the solid wire. I asked this on Welding Web and am getting "maybe-try it" answers. Anyone know for sure?

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I know its not apples to apples but I used my eastwood 135 and .035 on my crossmember In a few spots(I didn't wanna switch wire). To be honest it laid down cold welds even with beveling and some preheat(handheld torch). But I believe (prob wrong) if you use gas with your flux it lays a cleaner bead. That's what use when welding 1/8" or over. Run mig gas, Bevel, and clean thoroughly, and sometimes preheat 1/4".

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I read the Eastwood machine was made by Lincoln and identical to mine. I only use C-25 gas for shielding. For thick metal I usually use my Harbor Fright stick welder with flux coated rods. I too would only use the .035" wire for frames and other thick stuff. So not very good penetration and wetting? I was just worried it would overheat the machine and trip the breaker. The 12.5 lb spool is probably more than I could use in several lifetimes. I might just put it on Fleabay.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I've never tripped the breaker Or had the machine shut off on me. I had about 7 lbs of wire on it and it ran great. It looks just like my old Lincoln weldpak too. I'd try it on some scrap to see if you can get it to dig in enough. Your technique matters too. I feel like you could weld clean 1/8". I just didn't get my frame clean enough when I tried. I hadn't learned the importance of clean metal(or that our frames have a wax coating). I think if you clean with acetone, grind to bare metal, and clean with acetone again, you can get some welds on a gbody frame.

Reactions: 1 user

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
I have a Lincoln ProMig 140, I think basically a newer version of yours(even though I think I bought it in 2008ish). I have used 0.030 wire on it many times with pretty good success, but it likes 0.025 better. It does have a chart for 0.035 wire, but not for very thick metal, so I don't know how it would do. I use 0.030 on my 210 amp welder, although when I run out I'll probably go to 0.035 since I got the 140 going again(control board went out)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
if you clean with acetone, grind to bare metal, and clean with acetone again, you can get some welds on a gbody frame.

it likes 0.025 better
All I have used up to now is the .025" and loved it. I ran out of the L-56 and grabbed a random spool of .030" and hated it. But then I discovered it was chinesium, so maybe that had something to do with it. A micrometer shows the diameter is not consistent at all. I got popping and poor contact from the tip even with a new .030" Lincoln tip. Rabbithole I agree 100%. Prep is key and laziness gets you poor welds. I go to town with an angle grinder and a flap disc before I attempt any welding.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor