Can a X or Y pipe double as a drive shaft loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
So maybe i can kill two birds with one stone. So i am running 3" stainless steel process pipe for exhaust. Do you think that if i modify my exhaust from a H pipe to a X pipe, that it will be strong enough to catch the front of the drive shaft if the u joint lets loose? In current form it is in front of the drive shaft but if i moved it back do you think tech would let it slide at the drag strip?

Attachments

• 20200531_005757.jpg
    20200531_005757.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
  • Creative
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
do you think tech would let it slide at the drag strip?

That’s a hard “no”. Doesn’t matter who your sanctioning body is , NHRA, IHRA etc, they will definitely not “let it slide” as a driveshaft loop. They create and publish their rules for meeting tech very clearly and specifically for your class/bracket/etc for a reason, safety being paramount among them
Your exhaust might be strong enough to keep the DS from dropping onto the track, but it’s gonna do absolutely nothing to prevent it from tearing through the floorboards and taking your feet off.

Do it right.

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
That’s a hard “no”. Doesn’t matter who your sanctioning body is , NHRA, IHRA etc, they will definitely not “let it slide” as a driveshaft loop. They create and publish their rules for meeting tech very clearly and specifically for your class/bracket/etc for a reason, safety being paramount among them
Your exhaust might be strong enough to keep the DS from dropping onto the track, but it’s gonna do absolutely nothing to prevent it from tearing through the floorboards and taking your feet off.

Do it right.
What Rktpwrd said!!!
If the drive shaft or U-joint breaks it'll take the exhaust right off and the floor with it. Get a loop and a better shaft if you have any power.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The X pipe will hold a broken shaft but it won't fly @ tech. It's something you don't ever want to happen. Glad I had one - the Sonoma has one in the front and rear.

125.JPG

124.JPG

123.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
So maybe i can kill two birds with one stone. So i am running 3" stainless steel process pipe for exhaust. Do you think that if i modify my exhaust from a H pipe to a X pipe, that it will be strong enough to catch the front of the drive shaft if the u joint lets loose? In current form it is in front of the drive shaft but if i moved it back do you think tech would let it slide at the drag strip?
have you ever been through tech?there's no "sliding" of any kind..

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
I’ll tell you what benwa I’ll pay for your driveshaft hoop and to get it installed I’ll send you the money right now. Only catch? I’m going to need you to cut your right leg off. Why the leg? Because a hoop really isn’t there to prevent pole vaulting as much as it is to keep the front of the driveshaft from sawing through the floor and let me tell you it doesn’t care one bit whether your leg is in its way or not. Probably 3 years ago I sat under red flag for an hour at a track because a DIRTcar UMP modified broke a driveshaft somehow got through the hoop, the cockpit tin with is thicker than stamped step floor dented an 1 3/4 tube and broke this guys right leg, and he had to be brought to the hospital in an ambulance. I know a driveshaft loop always seems like a who cares it won’t happen to me just some annoying rule in tech but the day you bust a front U joint you will be glad you have one. Safety is always pushed to the side for go fast parts but remember when stuff goes bad it goes bad. Also if you do put a hoop in your car general rule is 6” behind tail shaft of trans.

Reactions: 1 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
I had a U-joint failing on me once on Nuerburgring at around 130mph. It's no fun at all!
Thank god it was the diff side joint and not the front, but the driveshaft still caught my e-brake cables, locking the rear brakes sending me into the gravel bank *ss first.

• Wow

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Drive shaft safety looks aren't that expensive .And using thin wall exhaust tubing is not worth the loss of your legs.

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
I custom made one and couple years later i replaced the floor pans and now i have replaced the trans. Went to the track last fall... didnt have one. Let go of the transbrake 5 times... running on borrowed time in the luck department i guess. I know i need one, and 3inch process stainless pipe is pretty tuff stuff for exhaust pipe. I have a lot of chassis work to do as it is might as well bend a new one up for the drive shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor