Can a X or Y pipe double as a drive shaft loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Something else I would like you to be aware of is driveshaft critical rpm. Attached is a chart from PTS - make sure you don't fall in this category.

Critical Speed Chart

1591018197746.png

Critical Speed is the RPM at which the driveshaft is computer projected to bend or whip. Exceeding Critical Speed can produce vibrations that can result in driveshaft failure.

The vibrations can also cause damage to the differential gears and bearings. The transmission extension housing, along with the torque converter and planetary gears can also be destroyed.

When you take a small piece of steel and bend it repeatedly, the stress will eventually break the steel. The same effect occurs on your complete driveline when no attention is paid to Critical Speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
Something else I would like you to be aware of is driveshaft critical rpm. Attached is a chart from PTS - make sure you don't fall in this category.

Critical Speed Chart

View attachment 147979

Critical Speed is the RPM at which the driveshaft is computer projected to bend or whip. Exceeding Critical Speed can produce vibrations that can result in driveshaft failure.

The vibrations can also cause damage to the differential gears and bearings. The transmission extension housing, along with the torque converter and planetary gears can also be destroyed.

When you take a small piece of steel and bend it repeatedly, the stress will eventually break the steel. The same effect occurs on your complete driveline when no attention is paid to Critical Speed.
This is gold to me. Guess i dont have to have some guy chop my leg off... Since I am poor i couldnt spin the motor that much and still be beneficial for me. I hope some people take notice and math it up!!!

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I used this chart for having my shaft made by Mark WIlliams 17 yeas ago. It was a 4" aluminum shaft. Made almost 1000 hp in a 3200 lbs car.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
For less then 100 bucks you are worrying about a part can that can stop a possible life alterting experience? Does mot seen like wise life decesion. I run a front one on all my cars. Even my lowely 300 horse daily beater wagon has one.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor