Can an ac compressor clutch leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I have oil coming out of the front side of the clutch outboard of the belt. I would think if it was a compressor seal it would leak out the backside closer to the compressor. The backside is completely dry. Is there a bearing in the clutch that could leak?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Pretty common leak point on an R4 compressor

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A6s suffered the same thing as well.

Should be able to replace the seal behind the clutch. Seems like maybe you need a puller for the clutch, might have been the bearing.....it's been a long time since i had an A6 on anything.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That is exactly where they leak from. All the drive belt load is at that spot.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
But do I have to replace the compressor or just the clutch? The clutch is noisy when it engages but the pulley spins fine without the clutch engaged.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Username Centurybob has some pretty good how to's on R4 compressors (and others). Check them out. They also have another doing seals. But this will give you an idea about what you would be getting into should you decide not to replace. If you're handy with tools, you can do this. May need to rent a couple of specialty tools, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do, right?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Never mind, I just recalled you're talking about the A6 compressors...

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Do yourself a favor and replace the compressor assembly. To replace the seal it requires special tools. Given the age of the compressor it is time for a new one. Replace the accumulator and orifice. Flush system and convert to R134A. Read up on proper oil and the correct amount of oil. Most people put to much. May be a good time to convert to serpentine belt as the A-6 compressor wasn't really made for R134A. I found a donor 94 S Blazer

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
No reason to convert to 134, R12 is still available if you look around. A PROPER conversion will cost more than buying the R12

But yeah, had the noisy compressor been mentioned at the start, it would have been suggested earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor