can i do a carb dip on the top air horn with a plastic cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i just started rebuilding a 87 4 barrel rochester carb (17087124) today and i noticed while taking it apart the cam for the secondaries is made of some type of plastic. can i still dip the whole top air horn? or will it get damaged? if not how can i clean the little brass tubes?

is there anything in the choke housing that will be damaged if i dip it? it looks like its all metal but im wondering if theres any type of plastic seal i cant see. its my first carb rebuild so its all pretty new to me. thanx!

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
Re: can i do a carb dip on the top air horn with a plastic c

these are the parts im talking about. the little red plastic cam is obviously what im talking about lol

Attachments

• carb 018.jpg
    carb 018.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 473
  • carb 019.jpg
    carb 019.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 469
  • carb 020.jpg
    carb 020.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 461

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011

kleen-flo carburetor and metal parts cleaner...too late i already did but i just gave it a good quick toothbrush scrub and made sure everything else was clean then rinsed and dried it quickly. i read a few articles where carb guys said they've done tonnes like this and just do them quickly and dont let it soak for hours like the other parts. hopefully all is well in the end, it doesnt seem like anything happened as a result so far, so ill cross my fingers...

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012

a quick bath shouldnt hurt anything.

The secondary cams are pretty tough stuff.
FYI there is a small V-lip shaft seal set in that choke housing where the shaft comes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor