Can I put My Oil pressure sending unit somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossman317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2010
Plainfield Indiana
So, My oil pressure sending unit seemed to be a tad bit jerry rigged...Surprise surprise coming from a used monte carlo in Indianapolis...lol

I think the little brass tubing he used was what the factory used..but he stacked like 6 of those little crew on fittings end to end to make the sending unit taller. Well, When I went to stab my new HEI distributor, it was in the way, so I went to pull it out. AND, I coincidentally found out why my oil has been leaking and the pressure has been bouncing. Because it was broke off at the hole almost and I finished the job and broke it off flush with the hole.

My question is this. Can I move the sending unit and plug that hole with something? I have been reading about another hole right about the oil filter. Are there any other places where I can easily move the sending unit to? Or is there a way I can get that fitting out of the hole?

Thanks again for your help, I'm sure one of you cats has had this problem before....

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I believe you can plumb in the oil pressure switch off the plug just above the oil filter...assuming it's a SBC. In either case you'll still have to remove the rigged fittings to either plug that outlet or replace the oil pressure sender.

Bossman317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2010
Plainfield Indiana
Sorry, I should have updated. I didn't think an easy out could get back there, but I just went ahead and pulled the distributor and got it out. All is well in oil world now!

Now all I have to do is get this damn distributor to work...I don't think I am getting any spark, The motor just turns and turns and turns, no backfires, no nothin'...Just spins till it dies. I ran a wire from the IGN terminal on my fuse black to the + side of the HEI cap, ran the white wire that went to the left plug of my old coil that's in the loom with the thick pink wire and put that on my TAC, and I'm 100% sure I am on tdc....So I'm wondering if I have a bad dizzy or what...I still think i wired this wrong somewhere.

if the white wire is wrong, will the distributor still work? I figured if that one was wrong, I just wouldn't have a tac, right?

And yeah, it's a SBC 305, I think. it's in my "Mean Green" 86 Monte Carlo SS. It's not the original motor, but it came from something that was bone stock. This week I have installed a new Holley 650 6210-3 quadrajet replacement carb, a new HEI coil and cap with VA, and dumped all the computer controlled stuff. Btw, it's all for sale if anyone needs anything emissions or ECM-wise. I have the entire loom for the ECM and all the random sensors and what-not. Also, a CC Quadrajet 4bbl that I just rebuilt, I just got tired of messing with the computer and tossed it before I got it tuned...

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
just finished up the same as you have done to your 305 on my l69 transplanted to my 86 elco(eliminating all computer controled conponents)and put a new 600 cfm summit brand carb(awesome) and procomp polished dual plane intake,and new vac controled dizzy.i also rigged up a 90 degree fitting for my oil pressure sender,as my headers were in the way?! :roll: i can take a pic if you'd like?good luck and keep it moving!

Bossman317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2010
Plainfield Indiana
Ok, So I checked the fuse to the ignition. And there is three different terminals. One of them is open and the other two have pink wires coming from them. Is there any specific one I am supposed to use?

I went a grabbed a cap and coil I know works from my buddy just to test. And the car still wouldn't start. I tried both wires. The one I ran fro the ignition terminal on the fuse block AND the pink one. I even tried them both together for sh*ts and giggles....Nothing

I am pretty stumped, I don't have a way to test voltage, but I know I have power to the car. It started right up every single time before I changed everything out because of the stupid *ss quadrajet....I don't know what to even look for now...

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
check the pick up coil in the Distributor the wires break and will cause a no start Problem.

Attachments

• imagesCAO66MVO.jpg
    imagesCAO66MVO.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 943
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor