can i swap my OLDS or a buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Oh yeah! Anythings possible! I've seen it done before. Do you already have a 455? You'll also need to replace the entire drivetrain, a big block will put out some serious torque. And don't forget the front suspension, those 455's weight a lot more than a SBO. Good luck man! :D

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Chevyman85 said:
Oh yeah! Anythings possible! I've seen it done before. Do you already have a 455? You'll also need to replace the entire drivetrain, a big block will put out some serious torque. And don't forget the front suspension, those 455's weight a lot more than a SBO. Good luck man! :D

Actually, a 455 Olds will bolt right up to your existing 307 mounts. It also only weighs about 100 lbs more than the 307. If you'd really rather have a Buick (yes, that was once their advertising tag line) then you need to get the motor and frame mounts for a G-body Buick V6. Do you need to be smog legal where you live? Neither 455 will legally pass the visual inspection requirements.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
I was under the impression that big blocks weighed in around 200 lbs heavier than small blocks. I know that can be cut down w/ aluminum intake and heads. Also the exhaust is an issue. Clearance becomes a problem with the frame, esp. on the passenger side. I barely make it with my SBC heads.

creepin cutty

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
smog, no they did away with that....

do i need a buick v6 motor mounts?

but the frame mounts?? what are frame mounts??lol

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Chevyman85 said:
I was under the impression that big blocks weighed in around 200 lbs heavier than small blocks. I know that can be cut down w/ aluminum intake and heads. Also the exhaust is an issue. Clearance becomes a problem with the frame, esp. on the passenger side. I barely make it with my SBC heads.

That may be true for a Chebby, where the BBC is a completely different motor from the SBC. The Olds big block is simply a small block with a taller deck, so the differences are not that great. Think of the differences between a car BBC and a tall deck truck BBC, for example.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
creepin cutty said:
smog, no they did away with that....

do i need a buick v6 motor mounts?

but the frame mounts?? what are frame mounts??lol

There are two parts to most motor mounting hardware - the rubber piece that bolts to the block (usually called the motor mount) and the metal bracket that bolts to the frame (sometimes called frame mounts or stands). You need matching parts since they're different depending on the motor type. Also, just to be contrary, Chebby swapped these around and put the rubber mount on the frame and the metal bracket on the block. Go figure.

The Buick 455 uses the same (or close enough) mounts as the Buick V6. The Olds 455 uses exactly the same mounts as the Olds 307. Your call.

creepin cutty

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
well i just bought the buick 455 so i guess i'ma have to get some v6 mounts...
any year i should be lookin to get? :D
thanks

Brandotheamazing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2007
v6 mounts don't work

Hey i'm swapping a 455 into a v6 regal. those mounts are way wrong....
they are about an inch to small, and the one's off the block won't bolt to the 455.

TA sells a set of matching ones, there was just a set on ebay, don't know if they're gon. and you will need to take out the lower controll arms and drill holes for the new frame pads.... you gotta rest the motor in bolted to the mounts, and trace it, then mark where the holes are, pull the motor out, drill, remove the lower arms, install mounts (good time to replace springs up front) then get your trans to match up. i think any BOP trans should bolt to the 455, but i'm not sure.

egobop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2007
New York
Made a big block swap in my 85 Olds

I have already made a swap to a big block in my 1985 Cutlass. Some people may not call a Pontiac 400 a big block but I do. It is the same size as the 455. First of all, the motor was not able to fit with the a/c stuff; I took it out and made a plate to cover the hole in the firewall. This worked out excellent for me since I mounted the mallory coil and HyFire ignition box to the plate. For frame mounts I used frame mounts from a mid 70's Pontiac Grand prix. Only two holes on each mount lined up with the holes in the frame so I bolted it down using the two holes on each mount and then mig welded the frame mounts in. This worked and the motor fit in. I did this with a friend of mine and when we did it we first dropped the motor with the transmission (TH-350) into the car and attached the driveshaft. This was done in order to ensure proper fitment so that the original transmission crossmemeber could be used and so that we were able to use the original drive shaft. I would suggest you do this as well. I did this approximately four years ago and bought the frame mounts from a local junk yard that had them. I bought a few different frame mounts for a few different Pontiac years and cars and had them on hand so we could get the best match. I would suggest you do the same thing with your Buick. Some people make a swap to a big block in a G-body sound very easy and some make it sound very hard. The hardest part for me with the swap was finding the right frame mounts and hooking up the throttle and kick down cables. I wound up buying Lokar throttle and kick down cables which are used primarily on hot rods.
I will also give you a little bit of advice. I had numerous people tell me different things about doing the swap to a big block whom had never done the swap. 99% of those people were wrong in what they were telling me. These people were not trying to be idiots or give me wrong information but they were doing the classic "This guy told me this" or "I read this". The best advice I can give you is to listen to the people who have done the big block swap but even then do not just do exactly what they say. Experiment a little and keep what they tell you in mind but try some things on your own. The way I did it worked well but there may even be an easier way. Good luck with your swap and thanks for not just dropping in a small block Chevy like most people do.
If you have any specific questions about what I did feel free to ask. If I do not know the answer I have no problem telling you that I do not know so I will not steer you in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor