can i swap my OLDS or a buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
your right that the 400 was not a small block but it's not a big block either...it's an intermediate block..I had a 74 GP with a 400 and won a few bets that it wasn't a big or small block..

http://www.answers.com/topic/pontiac-v8-engine

An engine of intermediate size (neither a true small-block nor big-block), the Pontiac V8 was a unique design, distinct from Buick, Chevrolet, or Oldsmobile engines.

ligoatpar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2005
Southampton, Pa.
Buick 455 in 'G' body

Man ego-noob sure took the hard way with that Pontiac swap. All pontiac v-8s, '70 and up blocks, will swap into the g body with 301 motor plates and the stock rubber replacement motor mount on the frame. I've got a 455 round port in my wagon with the A/C and a stick!
T/A performance has a special mount for the Buick 455 in a 'G' body. It has a taller deck than the Buick 350, that will bolt in with the V-6 mounts. Keep in mind the front (timing) cover on the 350 Buick will interchage with the V-6, and most of the accessory brackets from the V-6 will fit on the 350 Buick with some mods. So get wrenchin', and lotsa luck!

egobop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2007
New York
Just to answer ligoatpar; as I said in my reply; there may be an easier way than I used to do the swap. At the time I was doing my swap I did not come across any G-bodies in the junkyard that had a 301 in it. I used what I was able to get a hold of at the time and it worked. While lining up the motor, it did not appear as if the 400 would fit with the a/c box in the engine bay and it was in the way as I was dropping the motor in. The a/c was also not something I had my heart set on keeping anyway. I was never looking to use this car as an everyday vehicle so I will only be using it on nice days when it is not too hot and not too cold; unless of course I take it to the track and it happens to be hot in which case I would still not be looking to use the air conditioning. If you do not mind my asking; what wagon do you own with the 455 in it?

ligoatpar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2005
Southampton, Pa.
motor swaps

I've got the gray '79 Lemans wagon. It's in the old pics section. I'm not sure if it's still accessable. I haven't updated to the new pics section. As an aside, I'm pretty sure the 2nd gen firebird brackets are the same, around '75 to '81. I'm glad it worked out with you're ride, any way to continue the traditional pontiac is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor