Can improper timing cause a misfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
I installed a crate 350 not to long ago and iz noticed its had a bad misfire for a while now. Ive removed and check over all spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor but everything is less than 3000 km old and in perfect shape. I just cant figure out why the engine is running so bad.. Any suggestions?

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Yes it most definitely can! Q) did you install the distributor at tdc with the rotor pointing to #1 cylinder? Just wondering. Q) Is the distributor new also?

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
84GP455 said:
Yes it most definitely can! Q) did you install the distributor at tdc with the rotor pointing to #1 cylinder? Just wondering. Q) Is the distributor new also?
Yes I did install with the rotor pointing at number one. and yes the dist. is new as well.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
Did you put the dist in with cylinder 1 on the compression stroke? Its very easy to put it in 180 degrees off. I will still run, but really crappy.

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Have you checked the gap on the plugs? I bought a couple if sets and thy said the plugs were gapped, car ran like sh*t and I found out the we gapped at .060 instead of .035.

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
seawolf18 said:
Did you put the dist in with cylinder 1 on the compression stroke? Its very easy to put it in 180 degrees off. I will still run, but really crappy.
damn, you are right! I pulled my cap off and put it to TDC number 1 compression for SURE and it was pointing 180 away from where it should. But something im confused about is, the mark on my balancer is also 180 out. But it sits on a dowl pin. So i dont understand how it is out also.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
If your balancer is not showing correct on the timing marks, then you probably need a new balancer as well. The balancer is actually two pieces with a rubber insulator separating the two. When they go bad, the inner part will turn independently from the outer, causing it not to show the timing correctly. Reinstall the dist. 180 degrees from where it is now, and time by ear. If it runs like it should after doing that, then put a new balancer on it and retime with a timing light.

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Where did your balancer come from? What engine and year, I hear some of the balancers from vans came with the timing marks about the 7 oclock position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor