Can someone help diagnose this...

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Went to start up my Elky this morning and I get this nasty tapping sound from the passenger side of the engine (see video link). Any help id'ing that sound would be appreciated.

Oil pressure is good according to gage. I don't know anything about this engine (person I bought from says they don't either). I did do a compression test on number 3 cylinder a couple days ago a got and 120 reading. The block is a 80-85 350 sbc. Stock heads. Other than that I don't have a clue about what's in this thing.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
something is definitely loose or worn out

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Check valve adjustment after checking pushrods, then look at converter and flex plate.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
You can use a large, long shaft, flat bladed screwdriver as a primitive stethescope by placing the tip of the tool on the rocker cover and holding the handle close to your ear. Sounds being generated inside the covers will get transmitted through the tool shaft so you can "hear" them more clearly. By moving the screwdriver along the length of the cover you can listen to the individual rockers as they cycle and identify any that are louder than the others,. As a physical check you can run your fingers over the surface of the rocker covers when the engine is off and they will tell you if there are dents or dings in the faces where a rocker might be "talking" to the cover, which isn't supposed to happen.

Another thing would be, when you have the belts off, to check the pulleys on the various accessories, water pump, alt, and power steering, to make sure the shaft bushings haven't gone bad. Any wibble in the shaft as it turns in its bushing and the item is about due to be replaced.

Whatever the culprit turns out to be, letting the board know would be useful for someone else in the future who comes up against the same/similar problem.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I notice there is a PCV sitting on top of the pax valve cover. The noise is the valve piece lifting and dropping/rattling up and down. I had a similar situation on my 87 El Camino and it drove me nuts!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Could be an exhaust manifold leak as they often make a tapping sound.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
First, take care of your fuel pump. That needle on the fuel line pressure should not be doing that. Your FP is on Passenger side, could be cause of noise if it's getting ready to fail.

Beyond that start ruling out one thing at a time.

How does vehicle perform?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor