can someone help me with a cooling system question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
IMO, throwing Barr's Leak at a hole in a cooling system is like throwing more toilet paper in the toilet to get it to stop overflowing. It sounds like your cooling system has some serious underlying problems. At a minimum you need a heater core, possibly a radiator. Barr's Leak may sound like a really great thing at first, makes you think that you really won't have to do a cooling system overhaul after all... It's a mirage. A cooling system is way too demanding and important to throw quick fixes at it.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
yah i seen quite a bit of junk on the ports of the rad so im assuming its pretty clogged. the 2 flushes seemed to clean it a bit cuz now i can see the coolant flowing pretty good, but none the less if i cant get it clean im going to either have it professionally done or just replace it with a new one. for now tho i took it out a few times and floored it a couple times also and everything seems to be good. havent noticed any high pressure in the hose or collapsing and the heater core isnt fogging up the windows so hopefully until i find another rad, it lasts.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
another THOROUGH rad flush and the rad cap off my 3.8 cutlass and everything seems to be working good.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
cutlassguy said:
another THOROUGH rad flush and the rad cap off my 3.8 cutlass and everything seems to be working good.
sounds good...keep an eye on it for a while. If you notice the hose collapsing again, may want to check the level. If its losing water, you have to find the leak.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
RMI-25 is really good stuff. Not snake oil. Google it. Many trucking and industrial equipment companies use it to return the efficiency and extend the life of their cooling systems. I have used it for years with results from similar problems. In fact because of it I still have my factory original GN radiator with trans cooler in it.

RMI-25 cleans the block heads & radiator for better heat transfer, restores PH balance, conditions the seals and lubricates the pump. It lessens the need for coolant/antifreeze and transfers heat better than antifreeze. Its not a miracle product but it does to the degree that it can all of those things. It has stuff in it so that you can blue light it to find leaks. But its best used as preventive maintenance. One thing to be aware of is that sometimes when it removes corrosion a leak becomes worse. In which case barrs leak can be a great asset. Although if you have something that is rusted out then all you can do is replace it.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
what is that? and where can i find it?

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Not to be a smartarse but as the post says Google it. :mrgreen:

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
dogshit said:
Not to be a smartarse but as the post says Google it. :mrgreen:
website doesnt tell price or availability....is it carried by a retailer?

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Ok I googled RMI-25. This is the one I have used the last couple times I have purchased it. http://rmisource.com/
Prices are listed on the front page. A quart will do four cars and is good for at least a year.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i live in canada and they dont ship here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor