can this be repaired wo welding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
this is the only spot of rust on my latest project.the paint was bubbled up in this area and I chipped it off to find this underneath a bondo repair.the hole actually was not completely thru but close.is there any way I could cut a square beyond the hole through and repar this properly without having a patch welded in?its very thin in this area.
if it leaks here it goes right in the trunk.
trunk rust.jpg

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Any non structural panel rust can be repaired without welding, but is that where the trunk rubber bumper sets? If so you are going to want to weld it. Plastic will likely crack unless you use a ton of it and by the time you remove all the dead metal, there may not be much structure left.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'd be willing to bet it's not the only rust, just the only rust you've found. You could clean the rust out and use a panel bonding adhesive to affix a patch piece but I don't know that most people would consider that a "proper" repair.
I assume you don't have a welder? If that's the case you could do all the prep work and take the car to someone with a welder to have them weld it -- maybe even a muffler shop. Then you could finish the job yourself. My last boss probably wouldn't have charged more than $20 for a job like that. Hell, he might have done it for free if you showed up with a case of Coors light.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Man up and take a 3M wheel and dig all the body filler out to find out what you have. Then you can decide whether you have to bite the bullet and get it welded.

Edit: Post a pic so the peanut gallery here can chime in! ;)

Good luck - Gary

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Depending on how thick the filler is and how crusty it is, you could make a long lasting 'temporary' repair with seam sealer. Not everything has to be a concours restoration project. Sometimes less is more. Drive it and enjoy it.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Depending on how thick the filler is and how crusty it is, you could make a long lasting 'temporary' repair with seam sealer. Not everything has to be a concours restoration project. Sometimes less is more. Drive it and enjoy it.
Agreed %100!

I'm thinking that you could also grind the filler/rust in that area and make a long lasting temporary repair with some epoxy/fiberglass. Good luck.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I agree with the temporary part. Just remember, rust never sleeps. That's why that spot popped in the first place.

• Agree

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Cut out the rust if that's the area you want to fix, and cut a piece of sheet metal that over laps the hole, and glue it in. Maybe put some bondo over or just paint it. It will stop your leak, hold up indefinitely or until you decide to repair it properly.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I was just wondering if you looked around the rest of that quarter and rear body panel with plastic and rust in that area one of them may have been replaced and that rot could be from a bad mig weld. Just saying poke around a little it was and is quite common for insurance companies to write for used weld on parts if that's the case check all the seams and make shore it's been done properly butchery was common back when these cars had loan value and full coverage

• Agree

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
no ....this is the only rust at all on the entire car.thats why I bought it.
fortunately its in a spot that's not too noticeable.i notice your from brick.were neighbors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor