Can this come off??

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
Ok guys, I've got a bit of a problem. The weatherstrip retaining clip on my Cutlass, lost the bumper, and leaves a rather sharp edge poking out waiting to cut someone's hand. How it came off and where it came off I don't know. I ordered the clip shown in the photo thinking, no big deal to take the bumper off the metal, and using weatherstrip glue, placing it on the metal clip that's still attached to my car. I've quickly found out that it doesn't slide off.
Apparently this bumper coming off the clip is not uncommon, and I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and how you managed to take the bumper off. The clip itself is pop riveted in place. My problem with pop riveting the thing back in place is my roof rail weatherstips have been replaced in the not to distant past and have been glued down completely.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Oh, on the photo of the clip that's still on the car, note that there appears to be NO adhesive used to keep the bumper on the clip.
Thanks again to all who have any suggestions.

Attachments

• DSCF0333.JPG
    DSCF0333.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 215
  • DSCF0326.JPG
    DSCF0326.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 226

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Unfortunately, I believe that bumper is glued onto the clip. The only way I know how to replace is to remove the roof rail weatherstripping in which yours is glued down so that is a total PITA!!!!
Maybe one of the guys has some trick idea to share.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would probably try to locate a used one and carefully remove the bumper from the donor and glue it on your original mount.
I have never actually seen one come off the original mount.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what did you use to glue the weatherstripping. I have a T-top so it may be different but my weatherstripping sits in a track so no need to glue it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nope. No good ideas here. The weatherstrip needs to be removed and the new clip needs to be reattached to the retainer via pop rivets. The plastic thingies were made in a way to be part of the metal tab. No glue required. But age and brittleness cause them to crack and the little black tabs inside holding it on fail and goodbye black part of the clip. So you'll need to replace the entire clip. Sorry.

Weatherstrip was totally glued down? GM used a little squiggly line of adhesive to mount the weatherstrip. And it worked well. Easier to pop out.

You may could use some popsicle sticks or non-marring plastic pry tools to get in behind the weaherstripping. You will need to at least pull out the front of the weatherstrip out of the front channel so you can get to the screws and lower the front section of the retainer. You may have to take out the entire roof rail retainer to do it right though. I haven't done this in a long time and can't recall exactly how it all goes on.

Is it GM weahterstripping? If so, that's going to be an expensive fix if you have to buy another piece of that. If it's metro molded or some aftermarket brand, call whoever you bought them from and order up a passenger side weather strip piece, just in case.

That piece is an "anti blow out" clip to keep the side windows from pulling away from the weatherstripping causing air/water leaks from the side windows at highway speeds.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
what did you use to glue the weatherstripping. I have a T-top so it may be different but my weatherstripping sits in a track so no need to glue it
Weatherstrip on hardtops have a retainer/channel, but usually there was a little thin squiggly bead used to keep the weatherstrip from accidently falling out since it does have to defy gravity on at least 2/3 of it. The original T-top strip sections SHOULD have that squiggly adhesive too, but I've seen cars where they didn't use any. That good ol' 80s quality for ya.

Reactions: 1 users

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
Well guys I want to thank all of you for your replies. The clip I have is new, and it was bought because after a lot of time trying to find a used one within a 100 miles of me I gave up and got a new one. I figured that because the old bumper came of so nice and clean it wouldn't be an ordeal to take the one off the new clip. Boy was I wrong.
I spoke to the previous owner, and he had after market roof rail weatherstrips installed by a local body shop(he bought the Metro brand). I'm going to see how far I can lift the weatherstrip without tearing it to see if I can gain access to the pop rivets. I've never had experience doing this, but with my luck, I'll probably have to pull the complete weatherstip off and remove the retainer/channel to take the pop rivets out. Just my luck.
And if I have to get a new weatherstrip, so be it. I've installed the Metro brand door weatherstrips, and wasn't exactly pleased with the fit of them, so if I need to replace the roof strips, I'm going to go with the Steele rubber products. I used them on my Challenger in the past, and they fit (on the Challenger at least) like an OE piece.
Thanks again guys.

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
I yanked replacement ones off at the junk yard and epoxied them back in place on my existing clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor