Can you say "OUCH!!!!!!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well... I was having a good day after getting all the perf parts for my 700r4. Here we go with one of those "one step forward and two steps back".

Here we go with the damage control after snapping the driveshaft in half. It pretty much destroyed the back half of my transmission tunnel. You can clearly see the hole where the shaft got a clear pop at my leg but the carpet stopped it short, thank god. Then to add insult to injury, the damn rear pans got rust! When I rebuilt this car years back, I had wire wheeled the entire floor top and bottom clean, used acid to eat the rust, and put on a thick coat of rust encapsulator. Well I know where one leak was, but I solved that after I ripped all the AC components and air box out and put the delete plate on my car. So I guess its getting to the point where I need to replace my window felts. I'm very OCD when it comes to rust.

The plan now is head out to picknpull and get the complete transmission tunnel and floor pans behind the rear seats. Luckily, down here we've got tons of rust free monte carlos, cutlasses, grand prixs, and all the other g bodies. I was worried for a sec because my malibu is a two door but then I forgot all two door g bodies used the same floor boards. We also got a welder so hopefully this won't be too big of a kick in my pocket when i go to get this.

PS guess my dad has a driveshaft safety loop, he just can't find it at the moment. Its in one of the boxes :evil:

pics11-26-09005-1.jpg

pics11-26-09006-2.jpg

pics11-26-09007-2.jpg

pics11-26-09009.jpg

pics11-26-09010-1.jpg

100_2543.jpg

is all that just from sitting after the accident? that sux, good luck man.

All G-bodies use the same floor, not just 2-doors.

Window felts will do nothing to keep water out of the interior of your car... They keep water out of the doors.

You have a leak somewhere else.

Like I said, there WAS a leak coming from the Air box, but I removed that and sealed it up. So no more leak. I'm going to try at some point to check under the dash after spraying the front of the car with the hose. I'm just in a spiral right now. If it ain't one thing it's another.

patmckinneyracing said:
Like I said, there WAS a leak coming from the Air box, but I removed that and sealed it up. So no more leak.

Then why is your floor wet? :?

Oh, I know, it's because you have another leak somewhere.

There are dozens of other places for water to get into your car.
Don't just assume it was only the airbox and that you fixed it.

I went through a whole lot of leaks when I did my car. The principal culprits are usually around the bulkhead electrical connector, hood release cable entry into the firewall, E brake cable, and steering column. Also, the drain holes in the quarters can become plugged from dirt that enters through the flow through vents in the door jambs and cause it to flood. Plus, the radio antenna cable pass through on the passenger's side, along with the power window harness boot can also leak. I would also check the blockoff plate you made when you killed the poor A/C system, and the blockoff plate you may have needed if you eliminated the computer harness.

I would also look beneath the filler panel that goes from the back window to the trunk lid. GM didn't see fit to properly paint this area, and it is a normal area for rot. If it goes, it will let water leak into the back of the car. I fixed mine in a rather butch way by acid etching it clean then epoxying the holes. Then again, the seams in this area for the 4 panels that make up the trunk weatherstripping seal lip also like to rot and leak as well. Anywhere the car has old body caulk is another potential for leaks too as the caulk tends to dry out in as little as 3-5 years, then it lets water and rust in. I pretty much had to tackle ALL of these areas in my car before it was watertight. It definitely sucked, but that's why my car took so damn long.

My car is doesnt have any power windows or locks. It was never computer controlled, came as a 305 with the quadrajunk carb on it ( that should stir the wasp nest lol). The steering column looks good. I just tore out all the matting out from underneath the dash...it was a total mess. So now I can track down any and all leaks.

Blake I didn't assume anything, all I knew was the air box was a verified leak spot. Then I just smashed my pinky on the flywheel trying to loosen the torque converter bolts. Problem is everything is kind out of alignment since the bellhousing is split in two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor