Can you splice hard AC lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I love how GM places the AC orifice tube at the end of a hard line. You just open it, remove the orifice, clean it or replace it, and carry on. Not all cars are so handy. My Jeep has the orifice hidden in the middle of a three foot hard line. To service it you change out the entire line. That sucks. Can I cut a hard line and then splice it back together with a compression fitting? That way I can re-locate the orifice at the end of the line like GM does. I'm not sure if a compression fitting can hold the high side pressure. I see guys and shops using them on brake lines (YIKES!) and the pressures are similar. Then there is the problem of a brass fitting on an aluminum line- corrosion potential. What do you think?

gbodysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
AC Delco makes aluminum compression fittings for a/c lines in various sizes. We use them on rear a/c lines for newer vehicles. GM ships their rear a/c lines in halves, so we have to splice them together. They are the red ones, not the silver ones that require the adhesive. Dorman sells connectors that look identical to the GM ones, but the GM ones are far better than the dorman ones. If you use these, make sure that they are seated fully and the pipes are straight or they won't seal.

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
AC Delco makes aluminum compression fittings for a/c lines in various sizes.

Thanks!!! That is what I was looking for! And lookey here. They make a kit to splice in the orifice tube when needed due to stripped threads or whatever.
1625189345362.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor