Can you use a concentric wheel on a wheel spacer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I'm not even sure I understand my own question but my wheels are said to be concentric and came with a
hard plastic ring that went over the hub or axle end that protrudes through the brake drum.

(THIS QUESTION ONLY PERTAINS TO REAR WHEELS WITH DRUM BRAKES)

I'd like to move the wheel out about one inch using a spacer. Will using a concentric wheel on a spacer where
I can't use the hard plastic ring create an issue???????

Sorry if my questions is confusing........I've never used a spacer before.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Hubcentric, not concentric (the other type of wheel is lugcentric)

Depends on the spacer

Personally, prefer to buy wheels with correct backspacing/offset, but apparently, lots of people run spacers successfully

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Hubcentric, not concentric (the other type of wheel is lugcentric)

Depends on the spacer

Personally, prefer to buy wheels with correct backspacing/offset, but apparently, lots of people run spacers successfully
I apologize..............yes HUBcentric.............these wheels only came with a certain backspacing......I agree a properly
fitted wheel on a hub is ideal................the new billet aluminum just offers a bit of a tweak........

Thanks for the correction on the centric.............

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
The spacer as I see it does not have a lip over which the plastic ring could slide over and make the wheel hubcentric.
That may be the answer.......

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Some of the bolt-on spacers have a "hub" ring machined on them, but they tend to be the thicker versions.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Some of the bolt-on spacers have a "hub" ring machined on them, but they tend to be the thicker versions.
Well this spacer is only 1 inch........and from appearances it does NOT have a center ring so I think I have my answer.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
this is a hubcentric spacer.........

Attachments

• hubcentric.jpg
    hubcentric.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There are tons of 1" hubcentric spacers made.

The only function the hub has is centers the wheels during tightening and reduces chances of wheel runout. It provides zero wheel-stay-on-the-car affect since it's all clamp load. Thats why you break studs when they get loose, the studs are holding the car not the friction between the drum and the wheel.

I prefer hubcentric because it makes getting the wheel centered when tightening the lugs easier, it provides basically easier wheel install and thats about it. Maybe some runout chance reduction if you are an ape and just impact the wheel on without starting the lugs.

So yes, you can.

Reactions: 1 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
There are tons of 1" hubcentric spacers made.

The only function the hub has is centers the wheels during tightening and reduces chances of wheel runout. It provides zero wheel-stay-on-the-car affect since it's all clamp load. Thats why you break studs when they get loose, the studs are holding the car not the friction between the drum and the wheel.

I prefer hubcentric because it makes getting the wheel centered when tightening the lugs easier, it provides basically easier wheel install and thats about it. Maybe some runout chance reduction if you are an ape and just impact the wheel on without starting the lugs.

So yes, you can.

You are preaching to the choir.......I am OCD when it comes to doing the things like criss cross or star pattern tightening of lug nuts, and I hand
install and then torque to specks. I'm also the kind that cleans all the rust off any surfaces that can add the slightest vibrations to the wheel
or ride itself.

Thanks for your input and yes I have already ordered hubcentric spacers for the rear only...just an inch out. Amazing all the info you need
to find the correct spacer........especially the bore............found the correct spacers with bore and bolt pattern and stud threads etc. And they
were less than the ones I thought I could use so it's a win win for me today........:banana:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So do the spacers match the hub on the axle and the new wheel or just the wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor