Can you use this style of motor mount plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
I'm curious if these mount plates will work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2549049111...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

(let me know if that link won't work)

s-l1600.jpg

The ad says they're for a 73-98 GM truck or "other cars that use the clam shell" mount. Are all the SBC clam shells the same after 73 (or 75 I think actually)? I think they changed again in 88? Some searching seemed to indicate they are, or maybe not. And you can't trust a sketchy eBay seller to be right...

Since my car has the Olds engine in it I'd rather just buy a mount plate that has the "clamshell" integrated into it, since I don't believe what's on my engine can be used.

ICT billet also sells this kit: https://www.ictbillet.com/1975-1987...steel-clamshell-bracket-motor-conversion.html

551928_combined_install_light_table_1.jpg

Which says it positions the engine exactly as a SBC was, or so that the transmission is in the exact same place. Reading between the lines I believe this means that it's the same as the 1" set back mounts if you use the factory clamshells. I'm not sure if ICT Billet ships to me, I'd lean towards just buying their product if they do, assuming that's the right one.

I already ordered a 302-1 style oil pan.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
What I do know is that the truck mounts are like 1/2" longer ( Measured from where the bracket mounts on the engine block to the through bolt.) than the car mounts that used the clamshell mount on the frame.

I have a set of both car and truck mount engine side brackets around here somewhere if you need a picture.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
What I do know is that the truck mounts are like 1/2" longer ( Measured from where the bracket mounts on the engine block to the through bolt.) than the car mounts that used the clamshell mount on the frame.

I have a set of both car and truck mount engine side brackets around here somewhere if you need a picture.
Oh. A picture would be great.

In one of the other threads a poster complained his mounts wouldn't sit down right when he went to bolt it in the car, and he wound installing the mounts higher on the crossmember (drilled new holes). If it's a 1/2" on each side there, then I could see that being what would have caused his problems. He bought new clamshells and generic relocation plates to do the install and maybe got the wrong clamshells.

But, basically the answer is no, they're not the same.

So, what does the ICT Billet ones fit then? A car or a truck?

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
Hooker sells these: https://www.holley.com/products/eng...8_gm_g-body_ls_swap_components/parts/12643HKR

12643hkr_0119168.jpg

Which I'd say puts to rest any doubt, you can tell they bracket does not stick out as far on them as the eBay sketchy seller ones.

Unfortunately the Hooker ones are over $200 US. Rather rich for what they are. Also I think they updated the design to use countersunk hardware (not pictured), which is a massive pet peeve of mine if there is no need for it, and if one hole needs it for clearance only that hole should be countersunk. But that's another topic.

I have no idea where I'm going to find a set of factory SBC clamshells. There is not an abundance of cars that might have them around here.

Edit, man are the welds on that one bracket horrible. I'd be pissed off to receive that crap for any price more than free. :rofl:

2nd edit, I emailed ICT Billet about their mounts. I don't know if I'll get a reply.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
Okay, other option. UMI Performance 90058 HD engine mounts:

90058-600x400.jpg

They say they work with factory rubber mounts, solid mounts are not required. If I buy these I can run any of the generic flat plate adapters. Which I still think is a stupid solution, but everyone is doing it so it can't be that bad.

I've got them in my Summit cart right now. Hit buy?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Here is a side view. L to R UMI, factory Car and factory Truck,

Clam Shell Engine Brackets.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor