Canadian G.N. for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if he paid only $100 a month for it to be in storage the storage fees would be $20,400, plus he must have had insurance for fire and theft so he must be selling it for a loss

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
True, the car could use cleaning and detailing. I'm not trying to cause any disagreement here, but I'm curious as to the criteria that you use to assign a particular value to a vehicle that's for sale. I don't think there are many people that would dispute the statement, that in the current G body market, mid '80s turbo Buicks are usually are at the top of the heap, in terms of asking price, when they come up for sale. Why do you say that this car should be valued at $10,000.00?

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
True, the car could use cleaning and detailing. I'm not trying to cause any disagreement here, but I'm curious as to the criteria that you use to assign a particular value to a vehicle that's for sale. I don't think there are many people that would dispute the statement, that in the current G body market, mid '80s turbo Buicks are usually are at the top of the heap, in terms of asking price, when they come up for sale. Why do you say that this car should be valued at $10,000.00?

with a car that sits 17 years who knows what it needs....

• Agree

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
No F'ing way a running driving clean 1987 GN is worth only $10K. He's also asking $25K in loonies which is <$18K in US dollars. MAYBE if it were a 1985 that needed work it'd be that cheap.

Here's what Haggerty has to say:
Current Values
  • #1 Concours $57,000
  • #2 Excellent $42,000
  • #3 Good $28,900
  • #4 Fair $19,800
That car would take me a weekend to be presentable as a "Good" car. It's a 2 owner with 60,000 miles and from what I've seen from being around this collector car world for the last 30+ years of my life that makes this car pretty desirable. I even think it would take much more to bring it into the realm of excellent. I think this is actually a buy at the asking price if you're willing to hold and store the car for a 2-5 years. The 1987 GN is about as iconic as it gets for 1980s cars. It was the fastest American car of it's day, looks mean as hell and was produced in fairly low numbers. In another 10-15 years as Gen X'rs start reaching retirement age the demand for these cars should rival what we saw happen with the late 60s and early 70s Big Block muscle cars. The relatively high production numbers are the only thing keeping it from not being one of those "Holy Grail" cars like a 454 SS Chevelle or a CoPo, Yenko you name it special all the old guys get a big hard on for.

with a car that sits 17 years who knows what it needs....

Doesn't matter. The market for "collector" cars is guys that look at them in their garage and buy them as "investments". A lot of these guys don't care about the mechanics as long as it's original and low mile and has the fewest number of owners possible ideally 1. That's what they pay for. They don't care if the trans is F'ed or the carb is done or if every seal is rotten. I've seen guys own Cheetahs and Shelby Cobras that were worth deep into the 6 figures that were so fat they could even fit in the car! These type of buyers are very different from those of us who get greasy and build/modify our own stuff. The "elite" car buyer today even gets excited by the dust on the car. It's ridiculous; I know, but that's what's going on in the classic car world. The GN is the first American car of the 80s that has really come into its' own in the last decade or so. When GNX's sell for $200K that sets the stage for the rest of the field to be pulled up. I've seen it time and time again over the last 20 years. The insanity really began around Y2K with Barrett Jackson getting air time. When COPOs were going for six figures all of a sudden every pile of crap 1st Gen Camaro and big block Chevelle starting selling for $10K+, same thing with the HEMI cars, and then Porsches. I really can't understand the $20K 307 Malibu that a million examples were sold of, but hey that's where the market went, all because someone at one time payed six figures for a Yenko, Nickey or COPO.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
No F'ing way a running driving clean 1987 GN is worth only $10K. He's also asking $25K in loonies which is <$18K in US dollars. MAYBE if it were a 1985 that needed work it'd be that cheap.

Current Values
  • #1 Concours $57,000
  • #2 Excellent $42,000
  • #3 Good $28,900
  • #4 Fair $19,800
That car would take me a weekend to be presentable as a "Good" car. It's a 2 owner with 60,000 miles and from what I've seen from being around this collector car world for the last 30+ years of my life that makes this car pretty desirable. I even think it would take much more to bring it into the realm of excellent. I think this is actually a buy at the asking price if you're willing to hold and store the car for a 2-5 years. The 1987 GN is about as iconic as it gets for 1980s cars. It was the fastest American car of it's day, looks mean as hell and was produced in fairly low numbers. In another 10-15 years as Gen X'rs start reaching retirement age the demand for these cars should rival what we saw happen with the late 60s and early 70s Big Block muscle cars. The relatively high production numbers are the only thing keeping it from not being one of those "Holy Grail" cars like a 454 SS Chevelle or a CoPo, Yenko you name it special all the old guys get a big hard on for.

are you the seller's friend?.....the car sat in storage for the last 17 years and lots of things can rot with a car sitting around that long

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

Current Values
  • #1 Concours $57,000
  • #2 Excellent $42,000
  • #3 Good $28,900
  • #4 Fair $19,800
You're valuing this car as something that sat 6 months, or a year.

When a car sits almost 2 decades, do you realize how many rubber parts there are to dry out? How many hours it takes to replace it all?

If you value the car as something to shine up, then let sit in as corner somewhere, that's one thing. If you want to value it as a operable car, it takes a big hit in value. Maybe closer to $15k CDN.

If it was cheap and easy to make 100% safe and operable you can bet the seller would and capture that money.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

Now a GN is no Daytona but it's also 1/100th of the price. The problem is you guys are using logic and your probably not the market audience for the car. That Ferrari set into motion a trend for barn finds that sat for years to sell for big bucks and the dirt/dust has command higher selling prices at auction. Mostly this applies to cars much more rare than a GN, but maybe the seller is hoping he can find one of these "Barn Find Hunters" to pay up for his dusty GN. Also the 26 mile GNX that sold for $200K do you think that car didn't sit up for the better part of 30 years?

This'll be a good test of the actual market right now:
Same car just only 6,000 miles. Again it's probably sat stored a long time as well over the last 33 years to only accumulate 6,000 miles. This one is being sold by a dealer and they did some paint work, replaced the tires (assume the ones on it were dry rot and square from sitting) and put on new shocks probably cause the originals had rotted leaky seals. This one has a day left in the auction is already almost $10K more than the Canadian car.

The seller could be one of those guys that can't even change his own oil, so it might not be cheap for him to fix/clean up the car. Lots of guys make a living on buying rare cars from people that need to be fixed up or cleaned up to be sold. The seller makes no mention of the mechanical condition of the car, but assume it starts and runs.

I'm still not sure if it's our best interest as owners for these cars for their values to go up or not. On one hand if you own one or several you're able to possibly make some money, but on the other it could inhibit buying another if the prices go too high. Personally I'd like to see the values of these cars (all Gbodies not just the GNs) climb and loose the stigma of being more at home in a trailer park, and become more respected at the car shows.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

Now a GN is no Daytona but it's also 1/100th of the price. The problem is you guys are using logic and your probably not the market audience for the car. That Ferrari set into motion a trend for barn finds that sat for years to sell for big bucks and the dirt/dust has command higher selling prices at auction. Mostly this applies to cars much more rare than a GN, but maybe the seller is hoping he can find one of these "Barn Find Hunters" to pay up for his dusty GN. Also the 26 mile GNX that sold for $200K do you think that car didn't sit up for the better part of 30 years?

This'll be a good test of the actual market right now:
Same car just only 6,000 miles. Again it's probably sat stored a long time as well over the last 33 years to only accumulate 6,000 miles. This one is being sold by a dealer and they did some paint work, replaced the tires (assume the ones on it were dry rot and square from sitting) and put on new shocks probably cause the originals had rotted leaky seals. This one has a day left in the auction is already almost $10K more than the Canadian car.

The seller could be one of those guys that can't even change his own oil, so it might not be cheap for him to fix/clean up the car. Lots of guys make a living on buying rare cars from people that need to be fixed up or cleaned up to be sold. The seller makes no mention of the mechanical condition of the car, but assume it starts and runs.

I'm still not sure if it's our best interest as owners for these cars for their values to go up or not. On one hand if you own one or several you're able to possibly make some money, but on the other it could inhibit buying another if the prices go too high. Personally I'd like to see the values of these cars (all Gbodies not just the GNs) climb and loose the stigma of being more at home in a trailer park, and become more respected at the car shows.

the car in the link is a running car looks like it is ready for the road, not one that sat in storage for the last 17 years and who knows maybe the seals in the turbo have dried up amongst other problems. But then again you know what the car is worth so I hope your happy with your purchase.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor