Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
605-800.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
Pretty sure it's the 605. Will confirm when I get home. Not finding many available matches online. Anyone know if the 800's are interchangeable, or what other gm vehicles used the same boxes?

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Pretty sure it's the 605. Will confirm when I get home. Not finding many available matches online. Anyone know if the 800's are interchangeable, or what other gm vehicles used the same boxes?
The 605 boxes werent that great when they were brand new. Switch to the 800 series. I bought rebuilt units for both of my cars that were made by a company in MN called Lares. They have a website. I ordered close ratio boxes for a Monte SS. You can buy them through rockauto but shipping the core back would be expensive. I bought mine from Advanceauto or Autozone. Its been a few years so I dont remember which. The core from the 81 was a 605 and when I brought it back it didnt seem to make a difference.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If yours is a 600 series and you move up to an 800 series, it should bolt right in with ONE exception...

The pitman arm for an 800 series is different. You can get replacements in many places for approx. 50 bucks, but just be advised you'll need a new pitman arm with the upgrade should you go that route. You can hardly tear them up so if someone has one off an 800 box from a G-body they want to get rid of for cheap, snag it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
My friend had a 79 Cutlass changed the rims and had the wrong lug nuts for the rims we went 2 years and 2 steering boxes and changed the whole front end and took it to Winnipeg front end and they told us we had the wrong lug nuts felt stupid but it fixed the loose felling in the steering good luck

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
My friend had a 79 Cutlass changed the rims and had the wrong lug nuts for the rims we went 2 years and 2 steering boxes and changed the whole front end and took it to Winnipeg front end and they told us we had the wrong lug nuts felt stupid but it fixed the loose felling in the steering good luck
O.E. rims and nuts here. Torqued to 100 ft/lbs. He's lucky he didn't lose a wheel at 60 mph. That would downright ruin someone's day

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not to be sarcastic, is the steering in good enough condition to pass inspection? Asking because loose steering is an immediate fail most everywhere. If the wheel is turned, there has to be an immediate movement of the out tie-rod end. If there isn't, then you have a vehicle that won't pass inspection. If there is immediate movement, then I'd be looking for issues in the ball joints or a-ram bushing. And there is the possibility that the rear arm bushings are total crap making you steer the front end to keep it in front of the back end.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
You said you replaced ALL the steering linkage... Over how long of a period of time? Did you replace the idler arm, center link? I would take to another front end shop. Alignment could still be off. I put the SS gear in my 82 EL C and my what a great difference it made with good shocks, idler arm and center link. Someone is missing something. I know we are talking about street boats here but mine handles pretty well, all things considered

• Agree

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Was the center link replaced?? It will waller out, and you may not notice it's bad until you remove, and inspect.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor