Can’t figure out what is wrong with cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
ave gotten in over my head and I’m not too sure what else to suspect for my issue. A few weeks ago, my 1985 cutlass started to backfire under the carb, and had weak acceleration. I replaced all of the spark plugs, and then it was running perfectly. About a week after that, It reverted back to the same state randomly. I had someone tell me that it sounded like water in my fuel, so I added some alcohol to the tank. That got rid of the popping backfires, but not the lack of acceleration and rough idle. I then changed out my fuel filter, and fuel pump. That didn’t fix the issue, but did help. I’d say it was working at about 70%. After 3 days of it being consistent, I went to start it yesterday. It was extremely hard to start, and when it did, it started making the same popping backfire sounds. I am at a loss as to where to look next.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I would take the line off the carb and put it in jug. Turn it over a few revolutions and see how much fuel it pumped. If that is ok? I would check the firing order and timing. Also look over the cap and rotor. Could be a lot of different things wrong. Plugged pickup filter in the fuel tank? Water in the distributor cap?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Vacuum leaks.

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
I would take the line off the carb and put it in jug. Turn it over a few revolutions and see how much fuel it pumped. If that is ok? I would check the firing order and timing. Also look over the cap and rotor. Could be a lot of different things wrong. Plugged pickup filter in the fuel tank? Water in the distributor cap?
I’ll check the fuel output tomorrow. Should I be looking for a steady flow? The timing has been great for the past 2 years so I’m not sure it would be that, unless it could randomly shift?

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
Do you hear lifter chatter?
I’ve never actually heard that term before! I’ll do some googling and see if that fits what’s going on.

Edit: I just watched some videos of lifter chatter, doesn’t sound like any of the ones I heard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor