Can’t figure out what is wrong with cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
It’s not hard, actually it’s really easy. Just has to be put on correctly.

The car should pretty bad, if at all, with the choke stuck open until it gets to operating temperature.
It is real bad until it gets to operating temp, but even when it does warm up it is still giving me all of its drama.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It is real bad until it gets to operating temp, but even when it does warm up it is still giving me all of its drama.
Now it's starting to make sense. You have probably messed up another set of plugs.

Strongly urge you to fix all known broken components before replacing any others. Otherwise, it's very easy to cause more issues, with your repairs, that are difficult to figure out because they don't fall in line with the original issue.

Reactions: 1 users

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
Now it's starting to make sense. You have probably messed up another set of plugs.

Strongly urge you to fix all known broken components before replacing any others. Otherwise, it's very easy to cause more issues, with your repairs, that are difficult to figure out because they don't fall in line with the original issue.
Sounds like good advice. I’ll get another set of plugs in the next couple of days.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Get a dial back timing light (budget Actron is what I use) and a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge setup (like $30 from Harbor Freight). A compression tester is a bad idea either, but the 1st two are necessities for tuning. And not old school tuning either. I use all 3 of those tools regularly, and if you dig into my builds and posts NONE of them are carb'd with a distributor. But all of the same principles apply. Vacuum leaks and timing numbers don't care if you have a carb from the 80's or current EFI.

Those 3 tools will set you back $100-140 depending on what you buy and where you buy them. But they are absolutely invaluable. Once you understand how to use them, which is not difficult, you'll begin to understand all of my previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor