Cant find power wire for stereo, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumoBu

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2010
So while waitin for my seats to dry after dyeing them, I decided to put a radio in my car since it didn't come with one. I hooked up the speakers, ground, and (yellow) key on power wire. When I went to hook up the (orange) constant/memory wire, I couldn't for the life of me find it. The wiring wasn't hacked too bad so I have a hard time thinking it got cut completely out. I'm debating on just tapping into the cigarette lighter constant wire but I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble finding this wire.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Most of the G bodys didn't have that wire esp if your car had the 2 post style radio in it. Just run a wire to the fusebox and use an inline fuse.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
i as well have tapped the cigerette lighter power for my radio and have no issues with that setup

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
I have always ran a power wire straight to the battery, but then again I have always ran high-end head units.

The only bad thing about running the power to the cig lighter is that if you have power antenna, you could overload the circuit if you turn on the radio (thus running the power ant), AND use the cig lighter at the same time. Most people won't, but I thought I'd mention it...

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
yep if i did it again i would prbably run it with an inline fuse to the fuse box which should have a couple of open 12 v sources on it. its professional and clean that way. I did it with my aftermark gauges to one of the light ones and my dimmer switch even works on my aftermarket gauges which is neat

vic84supersport

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2011
PHoenix
i ran it to the ciggarette lighter but the bad part is that my radio settings reset everytime i turn off my car.....does anyone know how to wire up the radio so it doesnt reset every i turn off the power?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like your wire to the lighter may be dead....if you don't want to check that out then use one of the methods already suggested...the fuse box has a few constant feeds to choose from

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
X's 2, a far as I'm aware, G body cars all had live at all times cigarette lighters. I used this power source in mine too, lol (eliminated cigarette lighter though, haha).

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
vic84supersport said:
i ran it to the ciggarette lighter but the bad part is that my radio settings reset everytime i turn off my car.....does anyone know how to wire up the radio so it doesnt reset every i turn off the power?

Did you reverse the +12 and the ignition leads on the radio by chance? That can do it too...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
83hurst-olds said:
vic84supersport said:

Did you reverse the +12 and the ignition leads on the radio by chance? That can do it too...

good catch.....the yellow on the radio is usually the memory...the red is the on-off

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor