Can't remove gbody steering shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I have an1980 Malibu and I was looking to do the jeep Cherokee steering shaft upgrade. I looked up how to do it on the forums and I know you remove the two bolts and pry the shaft off of the steering box and slide it off of the column shaft.

For some reason I cannot get my shaft far enough from the splined end on the gear box to remove it. I've tried 2 pry bars and tapping as well as giving it a few wacks with a hammer. When I pry on the shaft I can see the shaft connected to the column pressing in through the firewall not sure how much wiggle room there is to pry I don't want to damage anything inside the column.

I'm pretty sure the column that's in it is not the original column. Is there anyway someone could have installed this column wrong which isn't allowing me to remove the shaft? Any suggestions? Thanks
IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The shaft is supposed to collapse....it must be corroded and locked in place. Some heat might help

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You could try loosening the column and pull it back slightly to give the shaft a little more leeway. I think that's what I ended up having to do to remove my old shaft.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You could try loosening the column and pull it back slightly to give the shaft a little more leeway. I think that's what I ended up having to do to remove my old shaft.
Either that or break the gearbox loose from the frame to get some movement.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Either that or break the gearbox loose from the frame to get some movement.
Jared, I thought of that, too. Whichever is easier or more accessible.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
why risk damaging the column on an item you are going to toss ? I would have lasted for a solid 30 seconds before I broke out the reciprocating saw and just cut the shaft above the joint

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I put an old set of vice grips where the X is and used my favorite mallet to collapse the shaft by pounding on the vice grips.....Jack and Jared need to stop working so hard...:)

steering_shaft.jpg

• Creative

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I put an old set of vice grips where the X is and used my favorite mallet to collapse the shaft by pounding on the vice grips.....Jack and Jared need to stop working so hard...:)

View attachment 58551
Imagination was never my strength Steve.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Is that easy to do? I'm at work right now so I can't jump under and take a look at it. Is it just 4 bolts bolted to the firewall I need to loosen I'm assuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor