Capping vacuum lines? Want to bypass charcoal filter. Need advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasindude1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2016
We had a little issue with our dual jet, the needle got stuck and it started leaking fuel and we lost the vapor vent tube, I went to a carb rebuilding shop to get the vent tube, and he recommend that I cap off the vent tube and and all the vacuum lines running to the canister charcoal filter. The reason he explained was he has seen failures of the canister system and has seen charcoal in the carb before. Has anyone heard of this? I was wondering about capping off the lines, is this a known practice and if so where would I route the remainder of the hoses to? I have a 82 Cutlass v6 with the California setup. This vehicle is not a daily driver but more of a cruising vehicle on certain occasions. If anyone has experience with this I would greatly appreciate some help as I would like to tackle this this weekend. Thank u guys, u have been such a big help so far

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
of all the gm cars I have owned I have never had a failure with the charcoal canister system. Can you go back and ask them how the charcoal gets sucked into the carb cause I'm thinking their explination will be good for a laugh

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you delete the carbon canister where will the fuel tank vent to? If you just leave the hose unhooked then the fuel vapor from the carb and the tank will just vent to the atmosphere under the hood which might be dangerous and at the least will make the garage smell like fuel if you park it in a garage. I would not remove or unhook the carbon canister. Just buy the replacement vent tube Bonnewagon posted in the other thread, cut it to length, and tap it in there. Done.

• Agree

jasindude1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2016
I have already bought the tubing and the vacuum hose, I was asking the validity of the repair shops statement. I just want to make sure that this is the safest route since we are talking about fuel vapors

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Ok. I don't think the repair shop's statement is valid. I've never seen or heard of the canister contaminating the carburetor. We had several cars in our family that had them and I've owned a few cars that had them. I suppose anything is possible, but I don't think it likely. There is a small filter in the bottom of the canister that can be replaced and if you are concerned the canister is still available new for about $60. The fuel vapors need somewhere to go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9I9GQ/?tag=gbody-20

Hope this helps.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
one thing you have to realise about many "repair" facilities if the "technicians" have no place to plug in their diagnostic systems into a car like ours they are lost

• Agree

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have seen charcoal migrate out of the canister. The reason for that was that the canister had gotten soaked with water and the granules got saturated. This was on an early version where there were only two hoses, vapors in- vapors out. The granules clogged the intake manifold vacuum fitting, not causing any change in the engine operation, but caused a raw fuel smell from the canister area. Not only is yours more sophisticated, but has a computer controlled purge valve. If you look under the canister on the bottom you will see a fiberglass filter that lets fresh air in to flush the vapors out of the charcoal. Being a closed system, capping the fittings will cause the vapors to find their own avenue of escape, and since your gas cap is sealed, the vacuum caused by the fuel pump can allow atmospheric pressure to crush your gas tank. Any one who advises you to bypass a well engineered system is merely showing their ignorance.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

jasindude1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2016
Ok cool. I appreciate all the info, I'm just gonna run the hoses as the factory intended. Seems like the majority ruling. I don't know much about these old dawgs so I wanted some input from more experienced people

jasindude1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2016
Hey guys! I want to thank everyone for all their help and knowledge. I want to update you all. I installed all the new hose line, took my time used new clamps and followed the factory setup and when I went to fire it up, purred like a kitten, no hard start like before, no hesitation. We didn't drive her around bc we r still missing the air cleaner gasket, she started up and idled better than she ever had. So thanks everyone for all ur help.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor