Caprice 305 EGR Valve--Is it original?

DWCaprice2017

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2019
Hi, All!
I have an '84 Caprice with a 305, electronic quadrajet carb.
I live in California, if that makes a difference for emission controls.

The first photo below is the EGR valve. In all of my searching, I've not seen any replacement EGR valve
that looks like this--with two vacuum ports. Is this OEM for the car? As can be seen in the second
photo, there's a hex screw that apparently holds the EGR Valve onto the base.

When I removed the hose from what I think is the exhaust gas recirculation solenoid valve that connects
to the EGR Valve (see engine photo), a little carbon came out of the hose. I've been trying to find a replacement
EGR solenoid, figuring that it might be full of carbon, but I can't find the part.

I did discover that the hose that connects to the side tube of the EGR Valve was poorly fitting, surely
causing a vacuum leak--likely all of the hoses need to be replaced!

With the EGR Valve off the engine, I'm taking it to a mechanic to use a hand vacuum pump on
it to see if the diaphragm is still good.

I'll likely replace the EGR Valve anyway, which brand is recommended?

Thank you for the help!
Bye,
Daniel

Attachments

• Caprice EGR Valve-A.jpg
    Caprice EGR Valve-A.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Caprice EGR Valve-B.jpg
    Caprice EGR Valve-B.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 3
  • Caprice EGR Valve--Photo 3.jpg
    Caprice EGR Valve--Photo 3.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Caprice EGR Valve--Photo 4.jpg
    Caprice EGR Valve--Photo 4.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Caprice EGR Solenoid Valve-A.jpg
    Caprice EGR Solenoid Valve-A.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Caprice EGR Solenoid Valve-B.jpg
    Caprice EGR Solenoid Valve-B.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Caprice EGR Valve--engine photo.jpg
    Caprice EGR Valve--engine photo.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 3
That's a Tomco 10506 replacement EGR valve used on chevy trucks and vans (Ever check the numbers on the engine to see if it is original?). Note the blue label on top
Tomco 10506.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Rktpwrd
That's a Tomco 10506 replacement EGR valve used on chevy trucks and vans (Ever check the numbers on the engine to see if it is original?). Note the blue label on top
View attachment 246381
Hi, ELCAM!
Just before I saw your response in my email, I discovered this also!
No, it never occurred to me to check the engine number. A different engine
would explain certain differences in the Chevy Shop Manual.
Thank you very much!

I had an 82 Impala back in the EMT days so, know that car well.

Get your camera back to cast data... Back of block on driver side. Should 200, 201, 766, or 202. I'll double check that for you. The 84 truck 305 should have been, 202, or 766. All 84 trucks and vans got the Monte Carlo SS spec engine from factory.

Yours being California emission adds another layer of stuff to deal with. Being from Midwest and now in Arizona, I'm not up on all the Calif. Emissions stuff, just know they screwed cars up.

I have a carb for that if you need one, came off of a 305 Chevy wagon, same year.

Look on the block where it sticks out from the front of the passenger side head your looking for two numbers. One is factory, date code and engine code. On early (pre 1968 there are two letters, post 68 there are three letters.
The other number is a partial VIN from the car it was installed in.

There are replacement warranty and over the counter engines that won't have this. If it built into a vehicle it will have these numbers.

blkvin.jpg

Reactions: Rktpwrd

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor