caprice 8.5 rearend to G-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uriah7

n00b
Jan 20, 2017
what does it take to swap a 8.5 caprice rearend to a G-body...

- i know the 8.5 is wider than my original maybe 2" to 3" inches ((but i could use the backspacing for wider wheels)) Anyways i was using my camaros 17x10.5 wheels with 2" spacers on the rear

- i know the caprice bolt patern is 5x5 and my monte is 5x4.75 ((but i can use wheel adapters/spacers))

- i know the shock mounts will have to need to be moved to the back of the housing

- can i use the stock upper and lower control arms? (( i might get away by using this on the lower ones
http://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-7012G ))

.... HAS ANY ONE DONE THIS SWAP BEFORE... WHAT ELSE IS DIFFERENT THAT WILL NEED MODIFICATIOND....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Uriah7

n00b
Jan 20, 2017
If youre the expert why dont you tell me what it takes to be in here...

The reason i asked this question is because i feel like no one has answered it clearly. They just assume it doesn't fit

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
  • Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Putting a B-body Caprice rearend into a G-body is almost as easy as putting a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck Dana 60 in it. Nothing whatsoever comes anywhere close to fitting, with the exception of a 13% chance it might use a similar u-joint. Well, that, and it was made by GM.

But, by all means, go forth and prove me wrong.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Why look for trouble when there's easier solutions?

Looks like a nice Monte Carlo... why don't you share some pics of it, and tell us what you've done to it?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Best bet would be a drop in 9" housing (aftermarket) or a G Body 8.5. Now, if you want to spend enough time and money on it, I'm sure putting it in there can be done, but why go to all that trouble and expense when there are better options? Agreed with Jack, would love to see some more pics of your car. Those Monte's look great in white.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You certainly could end up putting more money into modifying the B-body rear. Personally, you're better off finding a Mustang GT or Shelby 8.8 rear with disc brakes. It does require slight mods, but nothing as extensive as the amount of work it would entail to use the B-body rear. Do a search to educate yourself on the subject.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The other thing is there are conversion control arms to install the Ford 8.8 and the GM A body rears but nothing for the B body rears. For the Ford 9" modified for the G body the stock control arms work. The B body rears are cheaper and more plentiful than an A body rear so there must be a reason no one uses them in a G body.

Last edited:
  • Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Best bet would be a drop in 9" housing (aftermarket) or a G Body 8.5. Now, if you want to spend enough time and money on it, I'm sure putting it in there can be done, but why go to all that trouble and expense when there are better options? Agreed with Jack, would love to see some more pics of your car. Those Monte's look great in white.

Strange S60 is a direct bolt in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor