Car front sag

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
My Elky sits lower on the front driver side then front passenger side. It sits so low that a small bump will cause the tire to hit the the top of the inner fender. Besides the coil(spring), what else do I need to look for that might cause this?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Check the balljoints & bushings too. Even the mounting points. Could even be a bad arm.
These cars are 34-43 years old. On most 34-43 year olds the fronts start to sag over time... it's a fact of life. (Get married, you'll see...)

On a more serious note, but lower probability, worst case could be a frame issue...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Coil springs and body mount bushings

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
These cars are 34-43 years old. On most 34-43 year olds the fronts start to sag over time... it's a fact of life. (Get married, you'll see...)

On a more serious note, but lower probability, worst case could be a frame issue...
my wife says I don't listen to her - or something like that....

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
if it was the bushings wouldn't it make a noticeable "clunk" or other noise?

It could if damaged but if worn it could be too soft to support the weight.
The other option is that some cars, especially ones that sat unused outdoors a long time, will have the hole the bushing bolt goes through rust and enlarge, then the bushing collapses into the hole. It's wedged into place so it doesn't lift and fall making thunk noises, but it's also not at the height it ought to be.

More common on passenger side but happens both, and other places on frame too.

Reactions: 1 user

Steve C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
When I replace my body mount bushings, the car body raised varying heights, up to an inch.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor