Car having trouble starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2022
I’m having trouble getting my car to start it turns over and has spark it’s a 1978 Buick limited 5.0 don’t know what it could be?

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Manually turn the throttle on the carburator back towards the firewall and look down inside... is fuel being dispensed out?

You need three things... AIR, SPARK, but no gas?

Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2022
Manually turn the throttle on the carburator back towards the firewall and look down inside... is fuel being dispensed out?

Yea its pumping fuel and spark someone told me it could be my timing but it was running good a couple days ago so the other day I had changed the distributor cap and coil thinking it would do something but it does the same thing nothing but turning over

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016

Don't forget squish(Technical word for compression)

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Buy a spark tester for HEI ignition. If it doesn't bridge that you have no spark

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
If you still suspect your timing... losen the distributor hold down bolt till you can barely move it, have someone crank the engine while turning the distributor slightly in either direction to see if it will start.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Hei’s are famous for intermittent failing modules. I had one that would fail to start and then let it sit a few hours and first try start right up.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Hei’s are famous for intermittent failing modules. I had one that would fail to start and then let it sit a few hours and first try start right up.
Thats if you go for them chinesium $10.99 units.... 2weeks max working great if your lucky, then comes the butt load of trouble trying to diagnose everything and totaly dismissing the new part just because, "hey, its is brand new, that surely cant be it".(it has failed, and dont call me surely)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor